Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Audi V8 Heater core trouble! Any way to bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Default Audi V8 Heater core trouble! Any way to bypass?

Hello~
I am a soon to be owner of an Audi V8, the problem is the heater core is leaking, making a big mess in the car, burning my foot, and causing the engine to overheat.

I want to buy the car, but I need to have a way to get it home from the dealership, and possibly drive it for the week until I can order parts. Is there a hose I can block off, or bypass without too much trouble that would make the car drivable? Where is it located on the V8?

Thanks for the help!
~Eric

Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi V8 Heater core trouble! Any way to bypass?

Eric,

I don't even know where it is on V8, nor if the heater assembly, the blower, that is, is still under the plastic just ahead of your windshield.

You should, and I am not sure, see 2 hoses, 1 in 1 out, going through what you would assume to be the firwall. They will be the heater hoses. Either put a coupler, say 1/2 inch copper tubing, actually 5/8 diameter into both hose ends, or just plug them to get it home.

What is it, what year is it, and how much did a car with rotten hoses cost you. There WILL be more down the road.

Cheers,

George

BTW, are you of the English persuasion? Heater cores on this side of the pond are on the right side of the car, driving position is on the left side, if hot water is getting to you, and US side, look further.

Edit: OOPS, on all my Audis, the heater core is/was in the center, inside the big plastic unit under the plastic cover from the firewall to the windshield. Most other cars, they are in the heater assembly over the right footwell. Dumb of me, to be thinking American truck stuff while talking Audi.