Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Audi A6 not turbo... should I buy, or stay away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Default 1998 Audi A6 not turbo... should I buy, or stay away?

OK,

So this is the deal. There is a guy that as selling his 1998 Audi A6 quattro for $7900. I've been dealing on it, and have him down to $5000, mainly because of a couple of issues: I brought the car to a mechanic who said there is a small leak that is a valve cover issue. The air conditioning is also problematic. The car has 130,000 miles on it, but the owner just replaced the head gaskets, put on new brakes, new wheels, tie rods, CV boots, spark plugs and wires.

For $5,000 ... is this car worth my time? The mechanic also said that this model car has had a lot of problems. Then again, he only sees cars with problems, so I'm torn -- because it's a BEAUTIFUL car, and during the test-drive, ran wonderfully.

Please advise!
PS - In addition, the Edmunds.com user reviews were painful to read. Hardly anything good. That's why I'm here ... I figure if anyone knows, you guys do!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 1998 Audi A6 not turbo... should I buy, or stay away?

With 130k it is safe to assume the timing belt has been done, but ask just in case they didn't do it with the head gaskets. For 5k I think that it is an good deal. I bought my 00 2.8l for 9k with 114k, one owner, dealer maintained about a year ago in perfect condition. So 5k for basically the same car with a little more miles seems reasonable. I would change not flush the transmission fluid and filter asap. Other than that it should be a good car. Plan on doing shocks and control arms if they are still original, but other than that, sounds good to me. Audis are no Toyota, if you want a car as reliable as your toaster look elsewhere.

Jeff

Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 PM

yes, timing belt has been done.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

I've got a 99 a6 avant and I love it. Hell, I just spent 3 hours cleaning it and detailing. As for the valve cover, both of mine leak. It not life threatening but you're looking at about 200-300 to replace it at a mechanic, depending on the hourly rate. For 5 bills, a 98 a6 quattro sounds good, even at 130k miles. I payed 12k for my 99 avant with 71k miles.I would say go for it, what does everyone else think?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 PM

bump... !!! respond people!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

for 5 grand,i sure would,what are you waiting for?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I have a 98 Audi 2.8L Quattro and love it. Sure it has it's issues.....oil leaks from cam chain tensioner gaskets.. but it's not a pressing issue. Oil level stays pretty much on target even with this slight oil leak.

Ours has 92k miles on it and I've had the timing belt replaced along with everything else in there, plus plugs, plug wires, VC gaskets, breather hose, coolant temp sensor,and one CV boot (items that are bound to be replaced over time anyway). Oh, I've also had the front control arms replaced as well. If yours has already had most of this work done then your golden....just keep an eye on the small oil leak.
You'll love this car, especially on long road trips.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

well, I'm not going to pretend I know a lot of technical stuff about these cars...because I don't. But I have a 98 A6 and had nothing but problems with it. Probably put at least...8 grand into it trying to keep it alive. I probably just got a lemon though, that's the luck I usually have. hahah!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

One thing I've learned over the past 4 years is that if you want a finely-tuned over-engineered German car you need to be prepared to put money into it. However, if you do spend the cash to keep it maintained you'll enjoy many years of beautiful, comfortable driving with your Audi.
As a side note and not meant to sway your decision because I love Audis, I also own a BMW 540i and have not spent nearly as much money on it to keep it maintained as I have the Audi....but I still love both cars equally.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

very true, I agree that it's obvious repairs are expensive and will occur but here's what's been put in it since...2002 i believe...
-air conditioner
-valve cover gaskets
-overhead cam seals
-spark plug wires
-rack and pinion
-front roters
-lower control arms
-electronic control module
-electric window moter
-front and rear cam shaft seals twice
-electric fan
so it's actually about 10 grand plus normal stuff like oil changes, ect.
I also have a chronic oil leak that they cannot seam to fix.

but i still love my audi. haha

Quick Reply: 1998 Audi A6 not turbo... should I buy, or stay away?