Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6 2.8 (B4?) engine speed sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A6 2.8 (B4?) engine speed sensor location

Hi,

My A6 won't start, the ecu diagnostic tool suggested that the "Engine speed sensor" wasn't providing a signal so I've got a new one but no idea where it actually needs to go.

If someone could give me an idea of where it is I would be very grateful

Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Site Moderator

On the drivers side of the transmission, it reads the teeth on the flex plate between the engine and trans. By your coolant expansion tank there is a black connector, disconnect it and follow it to the sensor. A new sensor will come with the harness.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
On the drivers side of the transmission, it reads the teeth on the flex plate between the engine and trans. By your coolant expansion tank there is a black connector, disconnect it and follow it to the sensor. A new sensor will come with the harness.
Thanks. Here's a picture of what I've got under the expansion tank:

I unplugged the cable I've labeled Two pin connector which doesn't fit the 3 pin connector on the new sensor I've got, pictured below.

For completeness here's the other side of the engine.

Is the connector I need pictured above, or am I looking in the wrong places?

FYI: It's a RHD UK car and the engine is a 2.8 V6.

Thanks for your help so far

Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Site Moderator

You are pointing to the correct connector, i would double check to see if you have the correct sensor. Or if the 3 prong sensor will still work.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

You are pointing to the correct connector, i would double check to see if you have the correct sensor. Or if the 3 prong sensor will still work.
Bugger. This looks like the sensor I've got: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRANK-SHAFT-SE...3A1%7C294%3A50

CRANK SHAFT SENSOR and engine speed sensor are the same thing, right?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Ignore that link. This is the actual connector I purchased: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270340439576

Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Site Moderator

UGH, i hate E bay for auto parts. There is only one engine speed sensor, the vehicle speed sensor/s are calculated by the wheel speed sensors which isn't what you have there. Can you find the engine block number on your cylinder heads? example: ACK, AGZ etc? Do you have the right engine block for which you ordered?
I would also go to the dealer parts department and match up part numbers, if the dealer says its a different part than the one you have then you have to get the correct one.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

UGH, i hate E bay for auto parts. There is only one engine speed sensor, the vehicle speed sensor/s are calculated by the wheel speed sensors which isn't what you have there. Can you find the engine block number on your cylinder heads? example: ACK, AGZ etc? Do you have the right engine block for which you ordered?
I would also go to the dealer parts department and match up part numbers, if the dealer says its a different part than the one you have then you have to get the correct one.
Thanks for the help auditech. I double checked the engine code (ACK) and with a parts place who assured me I had the correct part.

Tonight I located the sensor on the engine/gearbox then traced it back to the grey connector pictured here:

The only problem I had was that the sensor I was supplied with didn't fit the plug, so I bridged the connectors with 3 bits of wire to confirm the sensor worked correctly (it did) then cut the old connector off and put it on to the new sensor.

For anyone searching in the future, the picture below shows the style of connector you'll need.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

They must have changed the length of the sensor for Europeans (or for the "Americans") or the engine block is "thinner".

Here's an "American" CPS for older models (1995):
Name:  029-LockingPinIn.jpg
Views: 12802
Size:  32.7 KB
Although is just a "magnetic coil", the difference in length between the models denotes once more the German "Truth in Engineering"
Why can' they use the same $^&^% sensor type for all the 2.8 engines?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 AM
ayi
1st Gear
Default could you please help me on this problem?

the mechanic said my sensor is too long. Thanks!

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...5/#post1344716

Quick Reply: 1999 A6 2.8 (B4?) engine speed sensor location