Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6: Heated seats & dash LED display questions...

Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A6: Heated seats & dash LED display questions...

Hi all. Just bought our first Audi: a 1999 A6 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro Auto/Tip and have a couple of questions. Hope someone can help.

1. Heated seats
The passenger seat heating seems weak, especially compared to the driver's seat. Only a few inches of squab and backrest get warm either side of the hinge. Is this normal? The driver's seat seems to get warmer in a larger area and heats more quickly.
Is this sort of problem possible? Does the heater use linear elements in a way that means some could break (kinda like the defogger in the rear window)? Or is it an all-or-nothing arrangement, in that if it's working at all then it's working as well as it can?
Anything I can do to improve the heating?

2. Digital dash LED display
The central trip computer display is well illuminated, but the pixels fade out towards the top-left corner. The first couple of characters of the radio station name display are almost unreadable.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? Are these displays replaceable?

This is a great car and I know I'm going to love it. Thanks in advance for any help that's forthcoming.
Ben

Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1999 A6: Heated seats & dash LED display questions...

Ah-ha! just discovered the thread in the 'General tech' forum about the LED displays. Guess there's no remedy except the one involving a credit card.

Would still welcome any feedback about the seat question though.