Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Default 1999 A6 Questions

Hello all, I'm new to the forums.

I have the chance to buy a 1999 A6 with 146,000 miles from it's original owner. He's asking $3900 but I'm hoping to talk him down to $3500 . Now, it does have some issues, to be fair: there was a deer accident some years back and the fender was repainted and now has some rust at the very top of the wheel wheel, and the door was a little messed up from the impact and has a crack in the paint and a little rust. Nothing else on the car seems to have been affected by the impact, and the seller says it was repaired under insurance. I'm in New England, so rust proliferates more easily than in other parts of the country.

The rest of the car, including the interior, is in great condition and looks well cared for.

Also, there are a few known mechanical issues. There are "brake" and "ABS" lights lit on the dashboard, which the guy says is just from a faulty ABS sensor that has already been diagnosed by his mechanic. That's easily fixable.

I currently drive a 1999 Passat with 95,000 miles with the 5 speed Tiptronic transmission and when I shift from Park to Reverse, there is a noticeable clunk. That is the same in the Audi, and my dad noticed that when the car is shifted into reverse, the engine jolts up and down a bit and then slowly moves up and down as the car idles in reverse. My cousin who is an A6 aficionado says that is is probably the front middle motor mount. I just want to make sure before I spring for the car.

So, what do you guys think is wrong with the car, and do you think that's a reasonable price for the guy to be asking taking into consideration all of what I just described?

Thanks,
~Justin

Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

Using my Phycomechanic abilities and common sense.

I predict if you purchase this Gem you will put no less than $4500 in parts into it in the first few months.

You will log into the forum daily and know everyone by their first name in a year.

Buy a newer one.

Almost all Audi's for sale at 90-130K need a timing belt, water pump etc.. control arms soon...misc electrical...engine mounts... gaskets/seals/vacuum lines...

Your better off with a newer model then to put that much into a car that you'll never get back - unless you love the car and hate having money and free time on the weekends.

That year did have a problem with the brake module about $800 I think. But why wouldn't the guy fix it to sell?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Low priced old used cars with known problems ansd high mileage are a hobby, so if you don't need the car and can let it sit if you have to, it might be a good project. If you are like me and want things to be right, it will take some time and money to make right. I would take the $3900 price and add about $3000 to it and look for a newer car in that price range and see what you find. You might spend more time driving it.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Justin -- That's a $1500 vehicle. No more!

As Jackmup says your going to spend a ton of money fixing it up. You might get lucky and not have to do everything on his list but you'll need to do some of it.

If you get it - you'll need to become close to Chris Semple at Fore Five in Concord NH because he will save you a ton on parts. He also has stuff for your Passat.

BTW -- Going from a 1999 Passat with 95K to a 1999 Audi with 146K for any money is not a wise move.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

Get back in your passat and drive away knowing you made the right decision. A6's are a dime a dozen and don't settle for one that has body damage, known mechanical issues and with any used car, unknown mechanical issues. If you insist on buying it, 1500-2000k would be a more reasonable price.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Thank you all very much for your input, but I honestly don't believe that it will cost $3000-$4500 in parts into the car (unless you think the transmission could be an issue- could it?!?). Since I got my Passat last year, I have replaced an 02 sensor, purchased a new hatch (it's a wagon) and had the hatch painted, replaced a control arm, purchased new brakes and rotors all around, and replaced an axle and only put about $620 into it. The Audi needs just about the same amount of work, so why would it be more expensive? (I already looked up the parts cost online- Advanced Auto Parts). I also do all the work by myself (minus the bodywork, I have an autobody shop do that), and if I need a car lift, my neighbor is a mechanic and lets me use his shop.

~Justin

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
3rd Gear

1. Passat = A4 -- A6 is a bit bigger costs more to fix - (I been there -Done that)

2. Front motor mount? Assuming it is a 2.8, motor mounts are on the side - How about snubber?

3. Do you really believe the guy about the ABS is a sensor? If it is the module - common problem - your going to spend more than you put in the Passat on that issue alone.

4. If you don't believe it will cost $3K to fix it up then pay your money and take your chances -but don't complain when you find that our experiences are correct. Just the TB will cost $300 - 400 for parts.

5. You might get the $3K to $1.5 by doing the work your self but the vehicle is only worth $1500 as it is.

6. Why go from a 95K mile Passat to a 146K mile Audi?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

The trans will go, they all do. Some at 80K, some at 180K. At 145k, you'll be looking for a tranny soon, or it's already been rebuilt.
Buy a used Honda accord. Drive it 300K miles over the next ten-years,, change the oil once a year,then donate it to a charitable organization, giving yourself a tax write-off. You'll be way ahead and probably be able to retire 5-years ahead of schedule.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 a6 audi

I purchased my Audi A6 2 years ago with 144k miles and they are ALL CORRECT!

It is hard to find exterior Audi parts more or less interior Audi parts it's also hard to find a GOOD mechanic!

I purchased my Audi from a used car dealer after having a 2001 Passat. Thinking the same thing it's an upgrade! What a mistake!

I took the car straight to the Audi dealership paid $150 for a diagnostic on the car. ABS BRAKE light means the ABS system is OUT! Its not a sensor. I had to replace the timing belt the water pump, radiator hose, cv joints, rotors and the list keeps going besides the additional maintenance of the car it takes 6 oils quarts and this ranges around $60-$100 every three months. Plus you have to use premium gas to get the best power in the vehicle.

Currently to date I am about $2500 in repairs and still going. I now need a radiator overflow hose replaced, vacuum hoses to get rid of the burning oil smell, engine coolant temperature sensor, coolant thermo switch, and last the O ring for the oil cooler. These are all repairs that still need to be done. Now mind you I dont have the exterior body damage but all these issues are COMMON issues for the 99 Audi A6

So I would actually listen carefully and keep looking.

Last edited by blactraveler; 10-25-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 AM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forum, Justin.

If you spent only $ 600 on all those R/Rs for the Passat and invested all that work on it, why don't you just keep it?
Go to a VW dealer, spend $ 150 and diagnose your jolting engine. If you don't have shifting problems otherwise on the road while it cycles through the entire gears range, then more than likely the engine mount/s problem shouldn't be that expensive. Or check the mounts yourself and replace them.
Trust me. Unless you just want to look good in an Audi once in a while, while spending countless money and more time fixing stuff than driving, stay away from the more expensive and finiky Passat's cousin.
If you're young, then rather keep your money to pay back your loans after you get done with school (college student, are ya?)

P.S. Since Audi (VAG) sells the cars with the longest anti-rust/perforation warranty in the industry (galvanized metal sheeting), protruding rust from the fender and on the door means that the repair was a poor, pissy job. I would stay away from that car. Who knows what underlying chassis problems you may have to deal with after the guy gets his cash and remembers that forgot to tell you the structure was compromised in the accident as well. A deer is not a rabbit...