Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 A6 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Default 1999 A6 Transmission issue

Hey all,

My transmission seems to be in limp mode, It's stuck in what to seems 3rd gear. It has reverse, slams hard in forward or reverse. Engine light is constantly on. The really interisting thing is that the cluster does not show any gear display at all! No PRND, nothing. And when I turn the car to thew on position, It says "press clutch to start engine"!!!! and it's an automatic. Im way stumped.. Has anyone had this before?
Oh yeah, I started the car for the first time in 2 months and it would not go into any gear at all.. It had to idle for 10 minutes, then it started to move.. I
It's just the wierdest thing that the digital readout tells me to press the clutch to start the engine considering the fact that it's an automatic car with no clutch..

Iv'e spent alot of time reading up on the forums about tiptronic transmission issues and found the 3rd gear thing, but not the cluster issue or anything else..
What's going on?
Thanks

Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-04-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM

I should add that the inside of the cab has been wet... It looks like there has been water under the carpet! If this TCM has been severly damaged is it possible to short out to the poiunt that the display on the cluster thinks te car is a manual?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Well if you are lucky, you can pull out the TCM, dry it well, and may work fine.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I am in the process of fixing an 02 A6 that had gotten water in the tcm and it did exactly the same thing it gave me the same warning about pushing the clutch in I had to replace the module and all is fine now.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Well if you are lucky, you can pull out the TCM, dry it well, and may work fine.
yup pull up the carpet and hit that thing with a hair dryer, i'd disconnect the battery ASAP. Wet electronics are typically fine as long as they are not exposed to current

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM

Well you guys were right on the money!! I pulled the carpet up and long and behold, (2" of water in the black box)!! Now Im thinkin oh crap.. I pulled the TCM apart and it's destroyed. I need one now and the local dismantler here says it's a TCM for a 2000-2001 A6. My car has a build date of 3/99. Does anyone have a spare? TCM part number 4B0 927 156 CE

Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Yeah, alldata has a TSB or recall for that, I forget which. Someone posted a .pdf of a letter they got as well. I went to a dealer though, and they claimed ignorance.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 PM

But of course!

My audi dealer here in Sacramento said "huh? Water in where"?

Originally Posted by smtcapecod
Yeah, alldata has a TSB or recall for that, I forget which. Someone posted a .pdf of a letter they got as well. I went to a dealer though, and they claimed ignorance.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

If you cant find one locally locally I have had good luck using the site - www.getusedparts.com just enter your car info in and usally within a few minutes you will start to get responses I wouldnt enter your phone as it will be ringing for hours if you do lol.

www.shokan.com is another source but they are a little more pricey than what I found on getusedparts.

I found both my tcm and my central locking module on there within a couple hours of posting what I needed.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Does anyone know where the TCM fuse is located? all the fuses in my fuse panel on the side of the dash are good...

Quick Reply: 1999 A6 Transmission issue