Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T driving question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Default 2.7T driving question

Hey yall
I got a question that you may or may not be able to understand. Anyway so the problem is that when I drive my car at about 20-30 mph just straight, everything is fine. But when I turn the steering to the right even 10 degrees I feel a vibration in the floor and seats. And the vibration only exists if I accelerate. Let's say I accelerate up to 65-70 mph I will feel the vibration in the floor most of the time on curves where I have to turn the wheel to the right. I'm assuming its a rack and pinion issue because when the car is not turned on and i try to move the wheel its a little loose and I hear that noise of the steering being loose. I just wanted to confirm if there could be anything else to cause this problem..I do have a new suspension and new front 12 pc control arm kit. Please help me. Once again the vibration/rumble only happens when I accelerate so that means its not the wheels either cuz the alignment and balancing are fine. My best guess is that its a rack and pinion issue. Also the vibration occurs sometimes even at 20mph very light though if i turn the wheel to the right..What do u think?

Last edited by spyder; 10-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

I don't think it's the rack, because it would do it regardless off your speed or if you were accelerating or not.

What it is....I don't have any idea. My guess would be a differential, but they should vibrate even when not accelerating I would think if something was wrong.

Racks tend to grind, moan, leak, get super soft/hard while corning. Well at least all my old GM racks did growing up.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
1st Gear
Default vibration

Sounds like a mount, like trans or engine OR CV joint to me.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM

i think you have the same problem as my 2.7T 6spd. I notice it under medium accel up to about 30mph. If i give it full acceleration or barely any at all i do not notice the "bumping/vibrating". I think whats happening is the engine and tranny mounts are flexing and allowing the driveline to slightly move down in the rear. thus torqueing the driveshaft. The next opportunity i have, i'll be checking the center support shaft bearing/bushing on the propellor shaft. I expect my bushing to be wiped and a new one is about $1400 new... complete shaft.