Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7t really really really bad smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

If the PCV valve fails, there will be no crankcase ventilation pressure will build and find a way to exit the motor. It's going to blow seals, possibly all of them if not dealt with. The whining from the turbo your hearing is the turbine is spinning with no oil, lol. That's bad! Remove intercooler piping see if alot of oil comes out of there, if so no doubt you have blown turbo seals.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Let me just explain again; and please to hear me out. The car did need the passenger side turbo replace - that much I knew of; the question I was asking or the dillema I find my self facing is the fact that I drove the car with No oil after it smoked for approximately (5 - 10) highway miles. would this have damaged the engine; I would hate to take the engine out and replace the turbos to find that the car is still smoking.
The question i badly need an answer for; how would I know if I still have a good motor (it still sounds good and starts right up) but there is a noise now that is coming from the passenger side; not turbo whining; but strange noise (and not a coming fro the bottom of the engine).

thank you very much for any help

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Did you damage the engine?

the best we can do is maybe. sorry but it is pretty difficult to determine if you damaged anything by using the internets. The ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TAKE IT APART AND LOOK. if you are not prepared to do so, take it to someone that is or take your chances.

possibly time to cut your losses

good luck

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

What kind of sound do you hear? That would tell me if i needed to pull the engine apart to take a look. You could have burned up a valve and you hear it tapping. Not as serious as burning a piston up. I would compression check each cylinder also to see what kind of condition the rings are in, that would be a fast easy way of telling you if it's the top end or bottom. Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

that is some really good information; thank you all much; I will get my compression tester out and this would be my weekend endeavor. I think I need to get both dry and wet tests done. If there are any more advises; please to let me know.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

performing a dry compression test on the car; all cylinders compression came to 1200 with the exception of cylender 2 and 5 they were at 900; which tells me that I probable screwed the engine up. any way I was able to find a good engine; for the car with turbos but it is on a car that is Manual transmission; as oppose to my car which is Automatic; from you'all experience would then engines fit?
someone had mentioned that the entire crankshaft needs replaced for them to fit; but I am not really convinced; that would really be stupid; anyone with knowledge or experience can tell me please.

thank you