Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7T turbos not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 2.7T turbos not working

Had this car for about 4 months now, has 140,000 on it, I've put about 3,000 since I've had it. Has had a code for bank one EGT sensor since I got it, ran fine though. Recently returned from a 1500 mile trip and noticed a lack of power and no turbo "whistle". Car runs fine, no other codes than the EGT thats been there the whole time. Feels like the turbos are not spooling up, and I don't hear them, car accelerates like a standard naturally aspirated V6. There was no noise or any other issues at the time I realized they weren't working. So far the only thing I've verified is that the left wastegate isn't stuck (it was pretty easy to get to) Looking for some possibilities or ideas before I start digging into this thing. Btw it's a manual trans. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

Are you loosing pressure? Are you running the right oil in your engine? Any warning lights coming up?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

haven't checked pressure yet, gotta find a gauge that'll read boost. CEL is on but its for the bank 1 EGT sensor thats been bad since i got the car, no other codes or warning lights. changed the oil a week ago, used 20w50, prolly not the best oil for it but i cant imagine 1,000 miles after i changed it that would cause a problem, especially since i got no warning signs. it seems like the turbos have been disabled, but i would think the ecm would set some sort of code if it did disable them.....

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

Definitely the wrong oil and yes it makes a big difference. Bearings can be sensitive to viscocities and other properties in the oil. Try and replace the oil with full synthetic 5-40 oil or even 0-30 oil. Do not run mineral oil. Hopefully nothing serious has happened to your car. Try and get a Vag system and do a scan to see if it comes up with any fault codes. Do you get any black or white smoke out of your exhaust?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HybridFuel
Had this car for about 4 months now, has 140,000 on it, I've put about 3,000 since I've had it. Has had a code for bank one EGT sensor since I got it, ran fine though. Recently returned from a 1500 mile trip and noticed a lack of power and no turbo "whistle". Car runs fine, no other codes than the EGT thats been there the whole time. Feels like the turbos are not spooling up, and I don't hear them, car accelerates like a standard naturally aspirated V6. There was no noise or any other issues at the time I realized they weren't working. So far the only thing I've verified is that the left wastegate isn't stuck (it was pretty easy to get to) Looking for some possibilities or ideas before I start digging into this thing. Btw it's a manual trans. Thanks for the help.
EGT will make car go into LIMP mode. That could be your problem. Also scan for codes as mentioned before. There could be a faulty N75 at play.

Also the oil needs to be changed asap. 20w is too thick for our cars. If anything 10 is the thickest i would go.
Make sure the viscosity is a 40 so choose from 0w-40, or 5w-40. Most of these weights are audi approved and can be found for same price as non audi approved synthetics.

But you dont hear the turbos spool at all? When you are in drive with windows down, nothing is heard? with windows up its nearly impossible. Also try to rev it in neutral and listen for a faint whistle.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

The oil viscosity theory makes sense the more I think about it. No smoking, thankfully. I'll change back to a lighter weight and post the results. Thanks for the help guys

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear

Just like it was said previously, you need to get that EGT sensor replaced. You aren't getting full power as the engine is in limp mode. It will run rich with a faulty EGT sensor. I also believe it will limit the boost it produces as well.

The EGT sensor is fairly easy to get to in bank 1 (Passenger side) on the 2.7t. You will need a 17mm crows foot and a few extensions. With proper placement, you just need to break the sensor loose from the manifold and then you can do the rest by hand.

Before anything else, I would address that EGT sensor before swapping out anything else.

Well... aside from that oil. I run 0w-40. You ought to change that ASAP.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

Check the throttle body boot. It could have ripped and I believe you will lose boost. I installed Samco in mine years ago and never head a problem.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

what type of gauge or sensor can be purchased in order to measure/monitor turbo pressures? does this one work? UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Certified

a faulty EGT sensor will NOT cause a limp home mode or restrict performance at all. It doesn't even turn on a MIL. It just stores a fault.

Your problem is most likely the thick oil.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 2.7T turbos not working