Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 quattro transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Angry 2000 A6 quattro transmission problems

I am having issues with my tiptronic transmission. The car is a 4.2. The car seems to drive fine for awhile and then when starting from a complete stop the car will bang into gear and then have loss of power, but once it goes, it goes fine. The car will continue to have loss of power from a complete stop the rest of the time it is being driven. The problem will start all over again once the car is turned off and then back on,then the whole cycle starts again. I have taken the car to a mechanic and they dont know jack ****! about whats going on. I heard that my car has maybe gone into "limp mode" and could be easily fixed by "reseting" the TCU. Is this true? I have also been told that if your TCU goes into "limp mode" your pretty much screwed and need a new TCU or tranny. the codes coming up are PO732-PO730-PO733Has anyone else had these problems?
I need someone who knows what they are talking about to help me
I have called a million shops and nobody will even touch my car, I get turned away from every place I take it. I dont understand why.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

your ride has a sealed trans. this means no dipstick or filler neck. so if you have a leak or some seepage due to a bad seal or gasket, their is no way to check the fluid so you could be dangerously low on fluid. I suggest taking the car to an audi tech or dealer to have a trans service done. which means pulling the pan and changing the filter. the car has to be plugged in to see the trans temp. since its a sealed case the fluid has to be measured as its pumped into the case from the fill fitting while its at 70*C. this ensures enough air in the case for an "allowable" amount of case pressure during operation. too much fluid and it will blow seals from the pressure at high temps from the expansion because it wont have enough room to go anywhere.

my brain isn't working well after lastnight so excuse my lack of vocab.

to reset the ecu/tcu you can pull both terminals off the battery and touch the pos and negs together with the key on. this will discharge the caps in the comp and make it totally dead in a few seconds. lets say 20seconds will be more than enough.

how many miles? city or hwy

the situation your describing sounds like a low fluid problem. and the car sences the driveline shock and puts you into limp to save the trans among other things.

Last edited by TurboA6S; 03-19-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

I"m wondering if you figured out the issue' I just had my audi A6 serviced ( exhaust) and when I pulled out of garage the trans was slipping. Runs fine once I get going but on start it slips like 2nd gear. Kinda revs as in neutral and then kicks into next gear. Someone said something about tcu?... what you had written.. Sorry not big on car lingo.
Could messing with exhaust have done something??
Thanks for any help!!!!