Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
 2000 A6 Transmission Problems?? >

2000 A6 Transmission Problems??

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.

2000 A6 Transmission Problems??

Old 07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Default 2000 A6 Transmission Problems??

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8. Started it this morning and when I put it in reverse, it slammed into gear. I put it back in drive and it did the same thing, but not quite as hard. Put it back into reverse and it slammed into gear again, I backed up a little and everything seemed fine. Put it back in drive and when I pressed the gas, RPM's raised, but the car was not very responsive. I checked under the car, and didn't see anything leaking. The car is fairly new to me and I did not have time to troubleshoot before work. Not sure if it is transmission, or computer. It ran fine yesterday. I'm not even sure if it safe to drive. Is it even possible to check the transmission fluid? I just had an oil change, and they said that all my fluids were fine, but I can't guarantee that they actually checked them. Any advice would be helpful..

Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2000 A6 Transmission Problems??

Hello triguy, this is what is happening more or or less to my car, Go to Autozone and get the computer and see if your pulling any codes, if your not then most likely is something wrong with your transmission fluid. I have been searching thru the Bentley Manual forums and alot of people report rough shifting due to low,incorrect or old transmission fluid. Good luck and hopefully is not your torque converter.

BTW- Due to the age of your car, it problaby wouldnt hurt if you flush your transmission fluid and change the filter anyways. It is not Lifetime fluid like Audi says.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

audi have life time transmission fluid. Try code reader, or look here http://www.audiworld.com/tech/for Tiptronic MultiFunction Switch Replacement or http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/705947.phtml

Old 08-02-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: vrso2

audi have life time transmission fluid.
I find it hard to believe any fluid is life time. If it would be that way we would already have lifetime engine oil. How about the filter in the transmission, would you say that filters are lifetime as well? http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.htmlCheck out that article, look towards the bottom, see how dark that transmission fluid is, i definatly wouldnt want that in my transmission EVEN if it wouldnt affect the car in any way, i wouldnt want nothing but the best for my baby, maybe if i was still driving a civic..[:'(]

Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

oki, i caled to europian Audi dealer for more info about trany. They told me, oil is life time BUT they recommend flush trany after 100k and change the filter and oil. Point is, whole fluid capacity is 9.8 liter, but in the oil pan is just aprox. 4 liters. Also they said, u need to use ATF1 sinthetic fluid.
http://catalog.worldpac.com/ibusines...rt=A%2FT+Fluid

Try also this:
"the transmission hesitation upon a rolling start try this fix. Turn the key to the ON position, then hold the accelerator to the floor for approximately 30 seconds or so, then turn the key to OFF. Then start your car as normal. What may be happening is that the Audi transmission computer is a "learning" computer. It learns the characteristics of the driver and adjusts the shifts accordingly. This procedure clears the learning the computer has done and starts over."

Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Your problem could be several things

First of all, I have the same car with the same problem, it has nothing to do with your fluid level, its true you should check it and change it but that is not where your problem is.
Second, if you are not the orginal owner then you will never know what the car has been thru.
Third, on the passenger side floor, you will find your trans computer. disconnect the battery and take the black box from underneath the carpet, don't worry about the cord it will be enough to pull the box all the way out.

Open the box and carefully open the case. There you will find the Transmission computer. take it out and put in a zip lock back right away. You don't want any damage to get to this box, most people have some kind of static on there body, this will distroy your unit. Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves.

Now after you put the unit in a safe place, go back to the car and do two things, one pull back the carpet again to see if you have any water on the floor, second check to see if there is any water in the black box.

If all areas are dry, then you can proceed to next step.
This step, you will need a test light. and a wire diagram for your transmission computer. Test every connection after you hook back up the battery. If all your power is ok, then you will need to send your transmission computer out to have that tested. Your car will start and move without the unit, but it is very unsafe, its just for parking or emergency.

Finally, once and only after your test are complete can you worry about any questions you have about a transmission. I hope this is helpful, I will answer all questions that you may have. And NO you can not put another Computer in your car unless every LETTER AND NUMBER is exactly the same

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vrso2 View Post
oki, i caled to europian Audi dealer for more info about trany. They told me, oil is life time BUT they recommend flush trany after 100k and change the filter and oil. Point is, whole fluid capacity is 9.8 liter, but in the oil pan is just aprox. 4 liters. Also they said, u need to use ATF1 sinthetic fluid.
http://catalog.worldpac.com/ibusines...rt=A%2FT+Fluid

Try also this:
"the transmission hesitation upon a rolling start try this fix. Turn the key to the ON position, then hold the accelerator to the floor for approximately 30 seconds or so, then turn the key to OFF. Then start your car as normal. What may be happening is that the Audi transmission computer is a "learning" computer. It learns the characteristics of the driver and adjusts the shifts accordingly. This procedure clears the learning the computer has done and starts over."
no flush just oil change and filter change. flush will destroy the tranny.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MarkTracy View Post
First of all, I have the same car with the same problem, it has nothing to do with your fluid level, its true you should check it and change it but that is not where your problem is.
Second, if you are not the orginal owner then you will never know what the car has been thru.
Third, on the passenger side floor, you will find your trans computer. disconnect the battery and take the black box from underneath the carpet, don't worry about the cord it will be enough to pull the box all the way out.

Open the box and carefully open the case. There you will find the Transmission computer. take it out and put in a zip lock back right away. You don't want any damage to get to this box, most people have some kind of static on there body, this will distroy your unit. Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves.

Now after you put the unit in a safe place, go back to the car and do two things, one pull back the carpet again to see if you have any water on the floor, second check to see if there is any water in the black box.

If all areas are dry, then you can proceed to next step.
This step, you will need a test light. and a wire diagram for your transmission computer. Test every connection after you hook back up the battery. If all your power is ok, then you will need to send your transmission computer out to have that tested. Your car will start and move without the unit, but it is very unsafe, its just for parking or emergency.

Finally, once and only after your test are complete can you worry about any questions you have about a transmission. I hope this is helpful, I will answer all questions that you may have. And NO you can not put another Computer in your car unless every LETTER AND NUMBER is exactly the same
if the TCM was bad the cars PRND432 would be lite no? might want to check it for moisture tho.

OP have you had any water coming in to your car? around the passenger area?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Mark Tracy,
Should the transmission computer be sent to Audi for testing or are there other companies that perform this service?
How about an automatic transmission repair shop?
Thank you for any help,
Kurt