Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 audi 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 audi 2.7t

I thought I'd make my first real post:

originally looking for WRX, 2.5RS, urS4/S6, merc 190E cosworth, S4, M3, A4 1.8T, Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (ultimate sleeper DSM).... basically I was looking for the cars with a lot of bang for the buck in terms of sheer fun factor and possibly tuneability.

I ended up buying a 2000 Audi 2.7T with 93k on the clock for 12,5... not a fantastic deal, but I didn't get ripped off. plus they gave me a good trade on an 04 chevy malibu, which was a nightmare to get rid of. Kind of high miles, so I'm worried about how much money I'll be dumping into it. However, I was sooo suckered in once I saw the 6 speed. I was aware this is the exact drivetrain as the S4 with just an additional 160 pounds on the scale, so I was pretty excited that this was on the lot. She's not perfect, but I'll be working on that. I plan on doing mild performance upgrades. Now with increased power, what will go out? I hear the 2nd gear synchro is a known weak point, and my second gear doesn't feel too good. 3-6 are golden. I don't want to rebuild the trans, I just got the car. Other than that, should I worry about an RS4 clutch with just a chip, intake, and exhaust?

How do I make this porker a little lighter?

Also, Audi made this car to understeer (boo, I was in an acura TL and I'm sick of understeer) and I'm looking to make it more neutral. Any of you have experience with this? I already have to pay 2k almost for an upcoming service and chip, so cheaper the better. I hear a rear sway, strut braces, overall chassis stiffening will make it more neutral. I am considering lowering springs (for the time being) over coilovers, because like most people, I don't have 2 grand lying around. Any opinions on this? I don't need much out of them, honestly its mostly cosmetic and for a slightly stiffer ride. keep in mind its just for the time being.

I have 18" oettinger RE's that are going to go on... I notice the audi a6 EATS UP rims. They look like 16's on my car. ... Hopefully dropping it a little will make it fill the well a bit nicer.

Furthermore, as you guys have WAY more combined experience than me...

what should I look to do with my car?!?

but consider these things:
1)bad-*** factor
2)cost
3)everyday driveability

basically, i could search to find all this, and I have been... but this is kind of an introduction as well since I just joined the audi family. Fantastic interiors, love the sound of the motor purr and turbo spooling. Not to mention it drives like a fine german car... because it is one. I love it already.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: 2000 audi 2.7t

Before you do anything else, hold off and make sure your car is in good shape. Putting a bunch of mods on a car that is going to break down does not make financial sense. You have an 8 year old car with almost 100k on the clock. You need to make sure the timing belt service has been done, and if not, you need to do it. You aren't going to get this car running like a s-box lancer or impreza. Those cars are much lighter and more modable, but you are in a tin can econobox. Your A6 is a sexy German beast that feels as solid as a vault and can still a blast to drive and is modable, though it is not cheap to mod these cars. Just to give you an idea, the cheap catback for these cars runs $1200. I hear $500 for a chip, but it is more like $1000 easy once you figure a tbb and dv upgrade is mandatory plus install costs.

Take your time and come up with a good game plan. The A6 not only eats up rims as you say, but it also has a heavy appetite for cash and credit cards. Anyway, it should be one hell of an upgrade from your Malibu.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

thanks, but I've already considered that. Its going into the shop for its service, a christmas present from the family, and to make sure everything is alright. THEN the chip. That's the game plan.

really I'm looking for advice on suspension and engine mods, not obvious things like 'make sure your car is in good shape', though i realize some people lack this common sense.

I realize this car is expensive; I'm bracing myself for the service bill.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

once you have the service all done and look to mod i would suggest this game plan(im following a similar route with my 01)

1.) chip with either apr or giac
2.) put on a set of 710N diverter valves
3.) look into buying a samco TBB
4.) gut the pre cats(free mod)

- with just this you will noticea huge increase in power, and really brings the car alive, this is what ive done so far to my car and has only cost me around $800. Also I wouldnt blow all your money on mods, you need to be ready for things to go out and be replaced on this car, since it is an 8 year old car. Once you get to this point in modifications i would look into an exhaust system(which im doing next) or start with some suspension work. Good luck

Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

I am with them:
I would do the following
- DV's
- TBB or APR Bipipe
- Chip
- Piggy Pipes
- Catback
- NewSouth PowerGaskets
- HSport Sway bars. If you go fast, you got handle better. These will SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the A6 infamous body roll and brake dive. Always do the rear if you're concerned with understeer).
- Goodridge SS Brake Lines and Hawks HPS pads. If you go fast, you gotta stop quick and short!
- Samco hose kit
- APR snub mount
- DO NOT do just springs, you will be bouncing and bottoming out... and eating out your stock shocks like they were bonbons (esecially if they are the original ones)! If you can't afford C/O, get a set of Koni FSD's or Billstein Shocks AND lowering Springs. The Eibach Springs wokr well from a height and spring rate perspectives... The H&R are more aggressive in spring rates and you will feel it in everyday driving, plus it will lower your car more... Up to you depending on your needs.
- Lighter rims, stick to 18's.

As for weight, depends what you use your car for, I am guessing that if you bought an A6 vs a smaller car like the S4, you need the space/rear seats? IF not, remove them

Get a light weight battery and move it to the trunk
get lighter wheels
lighter rotors
Aftermarket exhausts should be lighter
.. go on a diet .. just kidding!

Good luck