Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A6 4.2

I just bought a 2001 Audi A6 4.2 and i can't find places that have any performance parts for it! What the heck is going on... Is the model i have not a very customizable model? Somebody please help me out...

Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2001 Audi A6 4.2

What "performance" mods are you seeking?

Engine? Not much you can do. No supercharger yet for our engine.
Transmission? Maybe a Tiptronic chip
Suspension? You can do coilovers (Bilstein PSS9, H&R), sport springs/shocks (H&R Koni, Eibahc, etc. etc.), beefier sway bars (H-sports)
Exhaust? Not much gain in a normally aspirated engine.

For"cosmetics" stuff, you can click on my registry page and check out what I have done to my beast.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

I saw your registry page....(even though now i can't get into it...) and you have one heck of an amazing ride! I have now set my goals from looking at your mods. I'm very new to Audi's and even forums in general so hopefully everyone can bear with me. Three things i have put on my list first are the RS6 grills, exhaust and headliner. You said you got the headliner from Germany? How much did that cost and would a local body shop do that kind of work? Also your exhaust sounds great; that is with the RS6 nad the resonator cut out? Finally, do you have the performance chip installed? Is that the same as the Tiptronic chip? And does changing the exhaust and chip give you a noticeable difference in power?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kbraganca

I saw your registry page....(even though now i can't get into it...) and you have one heck of an amazing ride! I have now set my goals from looking at your mods. I'm very new to Audi's and even forums in general so hopefully everyone can bear with me. Three things i have put on my list first are the RS6 grills, exhaust and headliner. You said you got the headliner from Germany? How much did that cost and would a local body shop do that kind of work? Also your exhaust sounds great; that is with the RS6 nad the resonator cut out? Finally, do you have the performance chip installed? Is that the same as the Tiptronic chip? And does changing the exhaust and chip give you a noticeable difference in power?
Good luck on the exhaust, I talked to Boston Driver about this already...I am in the market for one also and just let me tell you...to say the least they are hard to get a hold of.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

Hey Boston driver, where did you get those clear corner lights for your 4.2?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Sorry,been away for a few days. Anyway, here are a few answers to the thread:

RS6 Sound Enhanced Exhaust - Very hard to find, but not impossible. You have to watch the various forums (here, AudiWorld's RS6 forum, RS6.com's community forum) and see if anyone is hinting about upgrading their RS6 exhaust. Then you have to jump...fast, and contact that RS6 owner to find out what he/she is doing with the stock setup. I actually nailed 2 setups at the same time. Worked a deal on a setup from NY, and another from Chicago. Figured I could resell the other one easily (which I did even before I took possession). Remember, they only made so many RS6's for the US, so there is a limited supply of these. Keep in mind that many RS6's have the normal exhasut (silver tips) vs. the Sound Enhanced version (black tips). Mine is the full cat-back stock setup with the factory resonators, and it sounds terrific!!! Best of luck finding a set.

Alcantara headliner - This is NOT an easy thing to find. It was ONLY available for the sedan in the RS6 here in the states, and the S6 and RS6 sedans in Europe. My set was from a "test" vehicle that was stripped down for the parts and sold. Engine, tranny, body aprts, etc. all parted out and sold via eBay. I see a set evey now and then for Avants, or A8 sedans, but I have not seen another set for an A6 sedan in a while. eBay germany (www.ebay.de) and serach for "audi alcantara." My set was only about $250 (I aws the onnly bid), plus shipping of anyohter $150 or so to the US. Sat is UScustoes for a couple of weeks while they tried to figure out what the hell that stuff was. FYI - One replacement piece over the B-pillar from the dealer cost more than $400. Not cheap, and VERY rare to find used. Good luck there too.

I have not done any engine or tranny chips, but I have recoded teh transmission control module to allow for tiptronic "on-demand" similar to how the RS6 works. The factory settings disable the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel unless the gear selector is in tiptronic mode. Using code "00032" I can now shift any time I want, even in Sport mode, using the buttons. Afer about 8-10 seconds of normal driving and no manual shifting, it reverts back to Drive (or Sport). Very handy.

My grilles are not RS6 grilles, but from the S6. I think the RS6 grille in front looks great, but it is difficult to fit the RS6 lower grille into the bumper. The S6 grilles are plug-n-play, but you also have to change the hood latch since the stock latch will not work with the S6 grille.

My registry page comes and goes. Depends on whether or not the server from AudiWorld is up or going through soem service. I am looking to move the info to a website, but I have not had the energy to take on that project yet. Feel free to contact me any time via e-mail at bostondriver@gmail.com or hliu55@yahoo.com.