Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 audi a6 should i buy it

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 audi a6 should i buy it

Ok I went and looked at a 2001 audi a6 quattro 4.2 v8 black exterior is in almost perfect shape. But interior is very dirty but leather is not ripped up. Also has 220xxx miles but seemed to run good and may need brakes. And needs a coil pack because of bad valve cover gasket leaking oil into plug hole. All the bells and whistles worked even the rear shade. Etc. Check engine light is on assuming cause is the oil leaking issue very good tires with the sport wheels. Any thaughts or suggestions would help I will pay only $800 for the car is it worth it or just getting a money pit ...... also it is missing the engine cover and timing covers left and right bottom is there. Thanks for any advice I am mechanicly enclined but don't know much about audi's

Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

$800? Eight Hundred Dollars? ochocientos dólares?

For a 2001 4.2 V8 "in almost perfect shape" that runs and drives?

No, don't buy it. Just tell me where it's located!

EDIT: In response to the actual question, if the $800 is disposable for you right now, go for it! The V8's motors are pretty reliable(with proper maintenance of course.. such as the timing belt service), it's the transmission attached to it that's usually the weak link, but at 220k+.. I would guess that it's likely been replaced or rebuilt at least once.

Maybe pull the codes before you purchase it and make sure it isn't timing or tranny related, but even then at $800 that's still a good deal IMHO.

But again, where's the car located?

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 10-01-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

Like I said has high miles 220 thousand and inerior is really horribly dirty stained. It has tan interior and floorboards are black not so bad on passenger or rear but exterior is really good

Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Any photos?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

No I don't have any pics. But I also forgot to mention that when I got there to look at the car it would start and then die and it seemes like the security system was triped. And the guy said he thaught he maight have the wrong key. So I told him I won't buy it unles I can test drive it. And he said ok I have some other people comming to look at it. So I left and told him if it fell through with the others to call me. And he did because he said the other person was rude to him. But he said now he found the correct key and it was ready to be driven down the road and ran fine. Another reason leary of the purchase. But when the 10 seconds it ran no smoke or knocking or weird noises. What is things I should look for when I go back today? This is what I'm thinking worst case scenario I can sell it and get my money back rite?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Hiya

OOOo the fun of buying an audi with a unknown history.

Couple of things that I am thinking to check.

- VIN number, get it spend the 35 bucks on a nationwide car fax report
- This will tell you quickly where it came from, emissions testing etc
- check under the drivers and passengers seat for any water or moisture. Wear those blue garage gloves if it is filthy
- pull a couple of spark plugs, any oil?
- do you have access to a vag com scanner, even the cheap ebay ones?
- but be warned the codes are flushed if the battery dies, you may have to drive for 20 minutes to get some data
- Let the car run for 10 minutes, or drive, pull the oil stick out, what colour?

And hey, 800 bucks is 800 bucks. Here is an audi pre own checklist you can use to review the car before you buy

http://www.audi.ca/etc/medialib/ngw/...ochecklist.pdf

A lite version of a check list

http://www.audipages.com/usedA8/inspectionchecklist.pdf

Hope this helps, report back!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

My friend has a scanner I could get possibly if he still has it. And timing belt looks good. What would you guys do in the situation would you just get it and hope for the best or pass cuz even the condition its in it books for around 3000 in fair condition so I'm going back today I will prolly just get it

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 PM

If you do end up buying this car the timing belt at that mileage should be changed since the history on the car or current belt is unknown even if the belt looks good. the items involved along with the timing belt job are water pump thermostat the idler and tensioner and if possible camshaft seals