Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 4.2 - Check Engine Light & Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 4.2 - Check Engine Light & Brake Question

I bought a 2002 A6 4.2 last weekend and I have a couple of issues that I have questions about:

1. The car had been sitting for a while, so they had to jump start it before the test drive. The check engine light was on and they claimed it was not on prior to the battery dying & thought it had something to do with the jump. I had the code pulled at a local auto parts store and it is P0491. From my searching here, it looks to be something with the secondary air system(?) and may have to do with a hose that has slipped off. Can anyone point me to where I should look under the hood to check on this?

2. My wife and I did not notice this on our lengthy test drive, but now any time you brake at any level other than feather-light, there is a noticeable shake and resonance from the pedal and wheel (it reverberates through the car - sounds like you are driving on a grated road). The town we bought the car in 2 hours away has notoriously bad roads and I figure we must have thought the noise/vibration was due to the road conditions. Any idea what this might be?

We bought it from an independent used car dealer that deals exclusively in higher-end vehicles. Where we live, though, there is not an Audi dealer. We do have a local VW dealer, but I called them and they made no qualms about the fact that they do not touch Audi's.[:@]

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Other than these (hopefully) minor issues, I really love this car so far![sm=Awwww.gif]

Thanks to all & cheers![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2002 A6 4.2 - Check Engine Light & Brake Question

The brake issue sounds like you need to replace your front rotors and pads. As for the secondary air system, the pump is located under the front bumper cover on the front passenger side. Try clearing the codes and see if it comes back on. There are several things that could cause a check engine light through the air system.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2002 A6 4.2 - Check Engine Light & Brake Question

Thanks 99A6Q - I appreciate the feedback! I am guessing that rotors are not going to be cheap for this car if that is indeed what is going on.[sm=sigh.gif] I have an appointment with a local shop next Wednesdaythat specializes in foreign cars to get everything checked out. Hopefully it will not hurt as bad as I am thinking it might.....

Thanks again & cheers![sm=alcoholic.gif]