Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 CEL codes??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 CEL codes??

Hi guys, I just picked up a 2002 A6 2.7T this past week and the day i got it registered the engine light came on. These are the codes i pulled off it tonight. Can anyone throw me in a direction to find out what they are? P0304, P0441, and P0741. The car runs great no noises or anything but it misfires if i get into the gas pretty good. Just by the feel of the car i'm thinking it might be a coil pack or bad wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 A6 CEL codes??-audi.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

P0304 Cyl.4 Misfire Detected

P0441 EVAP Emission Contr.Sys.Incorrect Purge Flow

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circ Performance or Stuck Off

Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

Thanks niknak!

I didn't expect that tourque converter code??? Is that a common thing with these? The car shifts great no hard shifts that I've noticed. What are the possibilities with that code or is it just that the torque converter is messed up in some way?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

Jeremy,

First step is to buy a VAG-COM cable off of ebay and download the Ross Tech software (follow the installation instructions carefully) so you can read and reset these codes. Sometimes they are intermittent and the first action is to reset the code and see if it returns. The first two codes above are not too bad, the third one is not so good. Did you get a warranty with the car?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

I have a scanner (not the VAG-COM) it allowed me to reset the codes and they did come back. Is the VAG-COM scanner needed if i have a regular scanner already? There is no warranty with the car it was a private sale (used to be a company car from CT). I read that the average fix for this tranny issue is around 2000 - 3000. Is that accurate? It's going into the shop to be checked out this Thursday. Not a dealer but they specialize in foreign cars specifically VW and Audi.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

Hey Jeremy
I had the same code (P0741) on my '01 A6. It was a gearbox speed sender inside the trans. right above the valve body that went bad. Not to hard to change and relatively cheap. Just got it all sorted out. I posted on another thread: check engine light on code p0741. If you need that part number lmk.
cheers
nossis_nave

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

How did you determine the gearbox speed sensor? Or is that what the Vag-Com does over a regular scanner? If you have the PN# handy that would be great. Id be really glad if it was that sensor instead of a TC. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Jeremy

Well I was kinda clueless as to the problem so I called my parts guy who got me the number of a tech that he was familiar with, and the tech told me that it was the GSS. A garage that I took my car to told me that the trans. could be bad, but the tech said that would only be the case if you smelled burt tranny fluid (outside the car). I don't believe the tech knew the PN off hand but i found it by perusing Audi and ZF PDF's.
Gearbox Speed Sender PN#: 01V 927 321 B
if you google that, one result will be an online Bentley Publishers PDF, which is where I found it. It's really not that hard to change and not very expensive (I paid $65 BN, not used and comparing to buying a whole new TC or Trans. Yikes!)
The car runs great now and the code has disappeared so I don't believe the TC was on its way out. The tech did suggest not driving the car until the GSS was changed out. I also had to change out the #4 PCV on the valve body

Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot! I'll suggest to the service dept Thursday that if they can pursue that route that would be easy on the wallet for me. I dont have a lift so to get under that car with just jackstands to change the GSS seems like it would be pretty tight. Hopefully soon I can have the CEL off and enjoy the car I havent had for a week yet....

Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Hey,
Yeah understood. We had to jack it up and put 6x6 wood blocks @ each corner of the car to make sure it was level, because asa you change the sender your gonna have to put the pan back on and add new ATF. But ya def. try this part first because if the car shifts perfectly it seems that the TC is fine. The tech I spoke w/ said that some shops, rather than start w/ replacing possible cheaper fixes first, will go straight for the most expensive definite fix, i.e. small sensors/solenoids vs. brand new TC or entire trans.

Champagne taste, beer wallet

cheers

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 CEL codes??