Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 fuel smell/Evap nipple/recal tank repair or replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 fuel smell/Evap nipple/recal tank repair or replacement

Car: 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro automatic

Symptom: Fuel smell near right rear tire

Reference: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...s-odor-120324/

Troubleshooting performed:
Inspected pressurized fuel lines and fuel filter from tank to engine bay. No leaks found. No fuel smell in engine bay. Smell is strongest at right rear corner of the tank near the fuel fill.

Troubleshooting planned:
Remove rear seat and access covers; inspect fuel pump fittings

Course of action A:
Evap nipple recall bubble gum fix has been performed, per local Audi dealership, but that was for previous owner. We will need to take the car there for evaluation of whether or not a second repair (which should be a tank replacement, right?) will be covered by the recall. Advice on this would be welcome. Has anyone bought a car with the bubble gum fix already done, then subsequently had the tank replaced via the recall?

Course of action B:
There's a local Craigslist ad for an equivalent car being parted out. I was wondering if I should get the fuel tank from it.

Can the failed evap nipples be replaced with the tank out of the car? Does Audi replace the tank because repairing it is not feasible or because it's cheaper to replace it than to pay dealership mechanics to repair it?

Do the new tanks have updated evap nipple parts to prevent recurrence of the problem?

IE, if I buy the fuel tank from the part-out car, can I install the new/updated evap nipple parts on my own, then swap tanks?

Obviously, I'm not a mechanical noob...

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Bump.