Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A6 Strange Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 2003 A6 Strange Radio Issue

Hello all,

Having a strange issue with my radio. Recently while starting the car, the radio suddenly stopped functioning. The radio back light just showed a solid red with no text showing up in the panel and no audio. The buttons would not respond at all either. The radio would stay on even if the car was turned off. (I removed the fuse to save the battery). The first few times I was able to recreate the problem whenever I plugged the fuse back in.

When I tried plugging in the fuse again yesterday, the back light on both the text display panel and the buttons keep flashing continuously. Any thoughts? Is the radio defective? If so, is it worth trying to find an OEM radio or would an after market alternative work just as well?

I tried swapping out the fuse with no luck.

I have a 2003 A6 3.0L Quattro with the original Premium Bose sound system. I would take it to a dealership but they charge a $150 diagnostic fee and I'm not sure if that is worth it if I just need to buy a new radio. Does anyone have any recommendations for another Audi shop in the Houston, TX area?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

I'm wondering if your radio lock out was activated. Only suggestion I have is to contact ECS Tuning. At one time they were selling these radios for about $40.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Question

The strange behavior continues...

Yesterday after work just to give it one last try, I put the fuse back in and the radio worked perfectly! Thinking that all was well, left the fuse in the car overnight. Then in the morning while about to go to work, I notice the radio back-lights flashing again. It must have been like this overnight, removing and re-inserting the fuse did not work. Defective radio?

If I were to get a new radio, can I upgrade to a newer model Audi radio? I.e. one with Sirus XM capability for example? Or do I have to go with the symphony II? Thanks for the tip on the parts site btw, they still have them for $40.

Thanks.