Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 A6 3.0 oil leak../unrelated tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A6 3.0 oil leak../unrelated tranny trouble

A6 Quattro 3.0 v6 89 000 kilo -Oil changed at 85k
-New TCM from audi

I already tried to find an existant post about oil leak like mine..

It first started at -30C this winter, one morning the two valve covers where leaking at bottom falling on hot exhaust causing a lot of oil fumes going trough inside vents and smoking me up.

I tought it was the VCG so I change it, 3 times.
Before reading my car was doing ice in the pcv system.Causing pressure to build up and going out at wrong places.
I'm work 15 minutes from home i believe condensation is not eliminated every time.

I tried ordering a vented oil cap to 'resolve' or calm a least this problem but the ecs tech told me it wouldnt fit mine.

Now the winter is DONE I can finally breath, no longer leaking, but I was cleaning it yesterday I noticed a lot of oil in the last spark plug hole passenger side(rear of engine).

My questionS are :
1.In the sparkplug holes, passed the VCG, i can see two rounded notch (cam holder) like there is other gasket or so ? could it be leaking from there ?

2.I also dont think this is normal, seeing the motor from passenger side , on the up right of this bank, i found a metal sheeting on the edge of the first up right bolt head. ATTACHED PICTURES 2004 A6 3.0 oil leak../unrelated tranny trouble-metal-shit.jpg2004 A6 3.0 oil leak../unrelated tranny trouble-what-thing.jpg

Seems like it supposed to be underneath that... I'm a roofer not a graduated mechanic.. I'm just wondering what/why this thing is there and if its supposed to be there or not. The other side (Bank 1) dont have it..

------------------------

Transmission issue

Now for the tranny,quite weird because i tried to make the car redo it but it never rehappened.

No big story here.
Exiting a TimHortons I turned left from a light merging onto a 90km/h way

The car went like
1....2..(finishing turning)..3..2.(highrev).3..2(highrev)..3..4..5..

What causes that ? / Even if I triggle unregularely gas pedal like moron at shifting point the car won't start shifting up and down like crazy, all this to say im unable to pin-point the issue

I wont mess it around trying to make it happen again, it's gone perfect like this but unrational things like this get me crazy unable to explain it

Thank you all in advance for your inputs trying to help me!! only my second Audi. the first was a b4a4 but was a beater so i didnt mind about it all
I 'll pretty enjoy this car once it run great for a little time,I hope soon.. Going to Sowo in May

Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by eric76
A6 Quattro 3.0 v6 89 000 kilo -Oil changed at 85k
-New TCM from audi

I already tried to find an existant post about oil leak like mine..

It first started at -30C this winter, one morning the two valve covers where leaking at bottom falling on hot exhaust causing a lot of oil fumes going trough inside vents and smoking me up.

I tought it was the VCG so I change it, 3 times.
Before reading my car was doing ice in the pcv system.Causing pressure to build up and going out at wrong places.
I'm work 15 minutes from home i believe condensation is not eliminated every time.

I tried ordering a vented oil cap to 'resolve' or calm a least this problem but the ecs tech told me it wouldnt fit mine.

Now the winter is DONE I can finally breath, no longer leaking, but I was cleaning it yesterday I noticed a lot of oil in the last spark plug hole passenger side(rear of engine).

My questionS are :
1.In the sparkplug holes, passed the VCG, i can see two rounded notch (cam holder) like there is other gasket or so ? could it be leaking from there ?

2.I also dont think this is normal, seeing the motor from passenger side , on the up right of this bank, i found a metal sheeting on the edge of the first up right bolt head. ATTACHED PICTURES Attachment 12862Attachment 12863

Seems like it supposed to be underneath that... I'm a roofer not a graduated mechanic.. I'm just wondering what/why this thing is there and if its supposed to be there or not. The other side (Bank 1) dont have it..

------------------------

Transmission issue

Now for the tranny,quite weird because i tried to make the car redo it but it never rehappened.

No big story here.
Exiting a TimHortons I turned left from a light merging onto a 90km/h way

The car went like
1....2..(finishing turning)..3..2.(highrev).3..2(highrev)..3..4..5..

What causes that ? / Even if I triggle unregularely gas pedal like moron at shifting point the car won't start shifting up and down like crazy, all this to say im unable to pin-point the issue

I wont mess it around trying to make it happen again, it's gone perfect like this but unrational things like this get me crazy unable to explain it

Thank you all in advance for your inputs trying to help me!! only my second Audi. the first was a b4a4 but was a beater so i didnt mind about it all
I 'll pretty enjoy this car once it run great for a little time,I hope soon.. Going to Sowo in May
The oil in the spark plug tube should only come from a leaking valve cover gasket(center gasket). It is possible the oil was there when the valve covers gaskets were done but not cleaned out. If they were not cleaned out the oil has no place to go.
As far as the transmission i would check the fluid level first.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Alright, thank you

For the pictures then? any input