Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A6 Quattro Electrical Fire Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 Audi A6 Quattro Electrical Fire Help

i recently purchased a gorgeous, one owner, well kept Audi A6 from a local used car dealership. Cash purchase....As-Is warranty. Halfway through a recent trip this week from Pittsburgh Pa to Columbus Oh smoke started coming out of the front driver vents. When i fully opened the vent ( left side driver by headlight controls ) fire erupted, car filled with smoke and horrible electrical fire smell and the entire dash began to melt. 911/Fire Company dispatched and was a total loss. I love this vehicle and am in hopes that it can be repaired!! Researching here and on the web ( high most forums & posts regarding this issue are aged ) I have found several Audi A6 recalls with descriptions exactly what I experienced this week ( headlight switch short circuit / electrical fire ensues ). My question is : whom do I want to contact? Insurance Company? ( I have limited coverage ), Local Used Car Dealership who sold me vehicle this year? ( are they not responsible to check for / fix recall issues before sales? ) Audi Dealer? Better Business Bureau? Consumer Protections ? Who may have had this happen and what are my next steps here? Please help!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

I'll be honest I don't think you can blame anyone or have anyone take responsibility.

Audi probably notified the previous owner of the car about the recall - but it was never performed or the wrong person got the letter. Audi would have performed the recall but they will not track down each car no matter the cost.

The used car dealership is currently not responsible to have each car they sell checked against recalls before they can be sold. Also it was sold as-is.

Insurance company would probably pay for some of the damage it if it was fully covered but you are looking at a claim like you had totaled it (own fault).

Not trying to be the bad guy here but in the end everything points towards you as the buyer. You should have had the car checked in and out. Most people have a car checked by the dealership to find major damage before you agree to purchase. The nice side-affect of that would also be the fact that they would have checked recalls.

Have you bought some extended warranty? Maybe they will agree to assist as this was not a fault of bad maintenance and it was certainly not wear & tear. You can certainly ask the local dealership you bought it from but I would hold my breath that they are even willing to assist in any way.

Good luck!