Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A6 Secondary pump?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 Audi A6 Secondary pump?

Hi,

My friend bought a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T and has this problem with the secondary air pump. When is gets really cold outside the pump doesn't kick in but after driving around and then let the engine cool down the pump will kick in on the next start. It also works fine when it's not that cold outside.

Is it suppose to work only at a certain temperature?

We changed the relay thinking that was the problem but it didn't help. Could it be the Intake System Vacuum Solenoid, part # 026 906 283 J?

Also, the pump has a whine to it when it works so I took it out cleaned the bearing, greased it and tested and it was quiet (normal motor sound only). After installing it back and testing it the pump out it had the same whine.

Could it be the T-line going to combi valves are bad?

Thanks.

Last edited by retho78; 12-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

anyone can help here please?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM
3rd Gear

At 208k mine started making a rocks-in-a-coffee can sound on start up. I was told it was the SAIU itself so I had it disconnected. It throws CELs frequently but not does affect performance. I also live in a state w/o emission tests.

I was under the impression that it works only at startup and usually when the engine is cold. I never heard mine until it started to fail.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Well, it works but not when it's very cold outside. So we are wondering if it only kicks in at certain temperatures?

Also, has the loud whine. I'm going to check and see if the vacuum hose is bad causing the whine.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Is there an easy way to test the air pump solenoid?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

hi,

No luck so far, could some one please tell me the correct part # for the air pump solenoid. I was looking the Audi blueprint on a Audi OEM parts website and see that there are three solenoids. I guess two of them are for the combi valves and one for the pump.

The pump is not kicking in the past three days, and CEL came on today showing the same codes insufficient flow bank 1 and bank 2. I replaced the relay and checked the fuse, also checked the pump by connecting it to the battery, the pump runs but loud.

Any ideas what to look for now?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

The pump has probably failed....not so much the pump itself but the electric motor inside of it. Like the earlier poster said, mine too only got noisy and started whining just before it quit. I'm including a link to an online supplier I used to buy an OE Bosch replacement ($340)...but if you want to save a few bucks, there is a guy on ebay who rebuilds your bad pump and warranties it for about $100.

EuropaParts.com: Secondary Air Pump - 078906601H

Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply....the Pump run when I hook it up the battery so I know it works. The past few days it's not kicking in and I'm planning to replace the bearings and hopefully get the noise to come down if the pump decides to work.

Replaced relay and checked fuse, my only guess is bad solenoid (which I'm not sure which one it is) unless this is the right part # 026906283 H or 026906283J.

Maybe even check for the vacuum leak. Shouldn't the pump kick in even there's a vacuum leak somewhere?

I found the Bosch pump for $242 at importec.com where I have bought many parts from them before.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear

The SAP will turn on when your engine is cold, without regard to the temperature outside. By doing so, the SAP helps to heat up the cats faster. Having it turn on sometimes and not others seems like the pump itself is failing. You indicate that the pump is making strange noises as well. These are all tell tale signs that your SAP is on its way out.

I tried re-building mine about a year ago and failed. I wasn't able to fix it and was forced to buy a new pump. Unfortunately for us they aren't cheap!

Is the car's CEL on? If you can scan the car, what error codes are you getting? This will better help us diagnose the problem.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

I don't remember the code exactly but it was saying secondary air pump insufficient flow bank 1 and bank 2.

I have the new bearings with me so will give it a try and track for any vacuum leaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A6 Secondary pump?