Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Default 4.2 Trans question

I drove two 4.2s a couple weeks ago, and was surprised by their sluggishness off the line.

My recent experience is with Porsche 928s, and I'm wondering whether any of the 928 auto features apply equally to the 4.2. Specifically:

- the 928 auto trans (actually a Benz unit) starts in second gear. Does the Audis? 928 enthusiasts typically rig a solenoid footswitch to overcome this-- basically a manualdownshift--does the GIAC tipshift deal with it?

- the 928 has variable-vane intake as well. It has a flapper valve (to put it inelegantly) that is prone to sticking and solenoid failure after many years, resulting in a less-responsive single length intake. Is there such a unit on the 4.2L intake and is it known to fail?

- I know the Volvo S60R autos....and my Grand Cherokee for that matter...have eletronically controlled torque-reduction programming to reduce power when launching from a standstill. Anything similar on the Audi? Its overcome with a resistorthatwas includedwith ashift kitinmy Jeep.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 4.2 Trans question

It is not the tranny, but the resultof the weight of the car. Sure there are 300 horses under the hood, but when you pair taht with a car that weighs 2 tons....not quick off the line at all. However, I would call the 4.2a GREAT highway cruiser, and you'll find effortless accelleration from 60-90 without any problem.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

You will find that you can hold 1st gear longer in AUTO mode vs. Tip Mode. You can reflash the tranny to hold first in TIP and/or get the GIAC TCU chip. They actually do quite well off the line if you don't floor it but rather stab the throttle quickly. It is an adaptable tranny so you could always get a VAG-COM and reset the TCU toyour driving habits. Takes almost a full month for it to adapt. Secondly, the intake on the car has two intake rails. One is for low to mid range and the other is mid to WOT. They run the length of the intake and work off of vaccum. I had mine falsely diagnosed and replaced so I had the opportunity to see the guts and learn how it works. You don't have to worry about the intake failing.Concerning your last question, I am not aware of any torgue reducing systems for the AUDI. It has a very intelligent AWD with ESP. Punch it and theres nothing holding back the ponies. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I came out of a 265 HP acura cl that weighed 3400lbs. into the AUDI. I was, as you are, dissapointed until I learned how to drive it. Rest assured it would launch harder and faster than my CL would. Any other questions?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

You can always convert to a 6 speed like I did (see link in sig for vid)
The tip chip will help
try getting a electric fan kit. there are(including me) several people that have gotten this and they say it takes some of the slug out of the car

Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 AM

6 speed is beyond my ambitions! Too much money for the tranny, then the headache of adding pedals, hydraulics. I'd love to buy a car already setup that way, but won't tackle a job of that magnitude myself. Besides, it would have my DD down for a long time! Congrats on walking that road though!

I assume the electric fan is in lieu of a hydraulic fan clutch. I see if I can find awrite upfor that, I've done that on my 928 and its easily accomplishable provided that the right fan specs are respected and the circuit is strong enough for the draw from the aftermarket fan(s). Is a different belt/pully required? What is the amp/cfm rating on the fan you use? And here's another- you notice any difference in shift quality with Redline? I typically do a full conversion to it when I pick up a new(used) vehicle. Want to be certain their specs are close enough that there will be no additional wear though, I'm going to run up a TON of miles.

How about the Factory service or workshop manuals- are they available as a set, as a file, or as a CD somewhere?

Other questions- I've got TONS, I'm a newb[:@] with a new toy but hope to learn fast. Gotta find out more about the whole VAG-COM thing....find good sources for tie rods/a-arms in anticipation...etc. I did find one site offering a manual first-gear switch for the A6 4.2L trans..but the vendor is a known problem in the 928 arena so it could be ubber-sketchy.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

AUDI uses a special mineral based oil in their trannies which is expensive stuff. I don't know if there is a huge viscosity difference or what effect redline would have on the overall poerformance of the tranny. Do not call the dealer and ask. Call an independent who works on the AUDI trannnies to get some anwsers. Redline is good stuff. I run it in my motorcycles. It makes a huge difference.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html

http://www.audidiy.com/c5a6.html

here, check these two places out. lots and lots of good info on both sites.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Great stuff, thanks! I had stumbled across the first at work and neglected to send the URL home for bookmarking. Still need some more exhaust comparisons....Would be nice to get some commentary from vendors that sell/install more than one type.