Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6speed vs tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Default 6speed vs tip

so ive come to a crossroad in my life. ive fallen in love with my 01 2.7 tip. the only thing i regret is that i didnt keep looking around for a 6 speed. i am at the point where i want to start moddifying my car and getting some more power out of it. but im on the edge with selling my car and finding a 02+ 6 speed or just keeping the tiptronic. and another thing im worried about is that i know all of the work and preventable work has been done to my car and its not having any problems. where as if i buy another newer car ill most likely have higher payments on a car that could have the same if not more problems then ive had with my car.... just for a 6 speed. what do you guys think.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

To be perfectly honest, I have a 2001 A6 Tip and have been looking for a manual for some time now. unfortunately, since the manual transmissions are so rare around this area (in an A6) they seem to have quite a higher price tag, so it is difficult for me to manage finding one and keeping my same (relatively) low monthly payments on it. If money is no option, or if the availability of a manual is good, then go for it! I would be jealous, even though I do love the Tip as well, but it just isn't the same. There is something to be said for being able to grab gears ripping down the road... it just feels great!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

ya i get what you mean. and also ive have been looking everywhere as well. instead of looking on the local want ad ive turned to cars.com ebay places like that. im even willing to travel a few hundred miles, as long as its worth it and the right color and what not and lower milage. anyone else have a 6 speed that would like to comment? is it worth trying to sell my tip and buy one

Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

I have an '01 6spd. I absolutley love it! I shopped around for the 6MT though.

I even traveled out of state to pick it up. Wouldn't think twice about gettingt this car/engine in at tip.

This is not my DD. It's a fully modded stg 2+. It could very well be my DD, but i prefer to baby it and take it out when I've beeen a good boy.

Is this your DD?

You said that you already know the history of the car and from the looks of your sig you already have a nice exhaust system. Thats tough to let go!

My opinion is...if have an alternative DD sell your tip and search for a well maintained 6spd and mod the hell out of it.

You will never regret it!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

I def agree with Coors,,,

I have a 03 A6 2.7t 6sd, and good damm!!! I lucked out with finding it, searched one week after my old car died in the snow. I found it at an Audi dealership in NJ, it just came after someone traded it in for a newer model. There is nothing like crusing around in the 6sp, just feeling the engine through your hand is like crack.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

yes the car is my dd. and i could even afford to keep it while searching for the 6speed then selling it after i find one. looks like the hunt will begin here in a few weeks

Old 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
3rd Gear

I walked away from an over-priced 330i and the next day my wife found my A6 for sale by a private party. I knew nothing about Audi, test drove it, and bought it. That was 100k miles ago and I still love driving it and intend to keep it for a long time.

From a practical point of view, why sell a reliable A6 for an unknown A6. You know these cars, if not maintained well, can be money pits. An MT6 is fun in general, but when I get caught in two hour traffic jams in Detroit or Chicago, it's no fun.

Depending on your needs, you might find it easier to find an A4 with a manual. There are a lot of them with the 1.8T which can be modded and they are out there with the 3.0 engine, which is limited for mods but has reasonable power. I bought one of the latter for my daughter and it is a sweet car -- in some ways (size, responsiveness), it is more fun to drive than the A6.

I think your question is a caution for all car buyers -- think through your transmission and other options real well before you buy that first car, because the cost of change is significant.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear

I have a full stage 3 audi a6 2.7T Automatic.. (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems in 15k-20k miles since my turbos were put in. I drive the car pretty hard and have launched the car over 200+ times since the turbos were replaced. I haven't noticed any problems with the tiptronic set up.. Just keep it in tiptronic so your car doesn't freak out from the power.

Check it out:
0-100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVgMyTJ6co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64o03uSFLLw

Hope you enjoyed,
Sk

Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

heyyyy wammyy nice to hear from ya. havent seen ya on here in a while. the only thing is is that my car has 117,000 miles and rising daily. since i bought the car a year ago with 103,000 miles on it the day after the check engine light came on for the "torque converter seleniod malfunction" and it constantly turns on and off every few weeks depending how hard i beat on the car. thats another reason im worried about the tip because i want to start doing some serious mods soon and i dont wanna deal with huge tranny problems if i have more hp. the converter doesnt slip or act up or anything so idk why the light comes on. and im not worried about trafic jams.... i live in upstate ny where theres nothing but open roads with bumps and pot holes the size and deep as basketballs :-P

- and im not going to lie, i love driving standard cars. this is the first auto ive owned

Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

haha and to the post before that, i had no idea what i was getting myself into when i bought this car. i got it because the girl i was with at the time thought it was nice, i didnt know what options they had or anything like that. and ever since that first drive and i threw out the girl its been a full out addiction (and my only love) . these cars are awsome. if audi made a full size pickup they would be the only thing id drive. and to the a4 idea... ive looked into it. but they will never have the power the twin turbos will have, and it looks alot harder to fit the women in the back seat ;-)