Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 A6 starting problem

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Default '95 A6 starting problem

hey guys!

i got this '95 A6 FWD, and i started to have a problem where the car just wouldn't start. At times it will take 10 or 15 tries before it start. Also sometimes you would have to pump the gas and at times it helps but not always.

So here is what i changed, the spark plugs, air filter and the gas filter. since i got the car no big work was done on the car beside the thermostat and the smaller thermostat near the 2 fans on the front, also the timing belt.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

How long ago did you (or a shop) change the TB (which by the way it is "big work") and the thermostat?
How long ago did you change your spark plugs and fuel filter - recently or some while back?
If your coils are bad, the plugs can get fouled no matter if you put them in new or slightly used.

- maybe the car is out of timing
- maybe your Ignition Control Module is dead
- maybe some of your coils are bad
- beginning of fuel pump problems?

By the way, do you have a CEL on - any codes?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
4th Gear

Does it crank and not catch or just wont crank?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
How long ago did you (or a shop) change the TB (which by the way it is "big work") and the thermostat?
How long ago did you change your spark plugs and fuel filter - recently or some while back?
If your coils are bad, the plugs can get fouled no matter if you put them in new or slightly used.

- maybe the car is out of timing
- maybe your Ignition Control Module is dead
- maybe some of your coils are bad
- beginning of fuel pump problems?

By the way, do you have a CEL on - any codes?
Well the spark plugs, gas filter and air filter was change this pass weekend. The TB was changed maybe 2 year now and the thermostat was changed last spring or summer. The code on the dash is IN2.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Does it crank and not catch or just wont crank?
it cranks just wouldn't start. After maybe 15 or 30 tries it starts but maybe 10 to 20mins idling it shutdown.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

test your fuel pressure and pressure regulator. can you hear the pump turn on?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
test your fuel pressure and pressure regulator. can you hear the pump turn on?
When i changed the gas filter i heard a click sound around that area, but it slowly quiet down. Near the gas filter there is a black rubber/plastic piece that pulsate when you touch it. Maybe that is the fuel pump?? (complete newbie when it comes to doing the work my self)

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Lindz
The TB was changed maybe 2 year now and the thermostat was changed last spring or summer. The code on the dash is IN2.
Well, the thermostat cannot be replaced without taking the Timing belt off. That's why i brought about the timing issue.
However, if the car didn't run rough since the T-stat replacement, then you can rule out a bad timing.

One other thing that could be the culprit is the starter (I believe that's where Jim's -Midniteoyl-question about cranking was leading toward).

"IN2" is not a code. That's just a remainder that some sort of service is nearing, or is due (Inspection - whatever the inspection may be)
Do you have the "Check Engine Light" on (CEL or MIL; same thing)?

I would assume that the black "plastic" thing pulsating at touch (when the engine is running) you talk about near the fuel filter is the "purge regulator valve". Does it make a "clicking" sound too?

Anyway, the fuel pump is not there. It suppose to be in the trunk, under the carpet mat.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
Well, the thermostat cannot be replaced without taking the Timing belt off. That's why i brought about the timing issue.
However, if the car didn't run rough since the T-stat replacement, then you can rule out a bad timing.

One other thing that could be the culprit is the starter (I believe that's where Jim's -Midniteoyl-question about cranking was leading toward).

"IN2" is not a code. That's just a remainder that some sort of service is nearing, or is due (Inspection - whatever the inspection may be)
Do you have the "Check Engine Light" on (CEL or MIL; same thing)?

I would assume that the black "plastic" thing pulsating at touch (when the engine is running) you talk about near the fuel filter is the "purge regulator valve". Does it make a "clicking" sound too?

Anyway, the fuel pump is not there. It suppose to be in the trunk, under the carpet mat.
yes i get the clicking sound by the pulsating black plastic piece (Purge Regulator). The check engine light does turn on once and awhile but not always. When i try starting it battery light on with check engine light. I kinda ruled out the battery cause the lights are nice and bright and the radio is still running.MIL is over 100k, i can't give actually number car not with me right now. (have it parked in my parents driveway)

Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
4th Gear

OK.. the IN2 is the reminder to bleed your brake fluid. The clicking of the Purge regular is normal. The cranking, starting after awhile, then shutting down after 20 mins is could be a temp sensor, most likely the Coolant Temp sensor. I had one fail LOW once and the car was hard to start, would catch, then die after 10-15mins and wouldnt restart again for at least an hour, usually 2. It seems that when they fail LOW, the ECU thinks its -40F and when the engine starts to warm, it goes rich and dies. Nobody, even a dealer, could figure it out. Its worth a shot to check it out. Air Temp sensors and the MAF would be other places to look, as would the CAM and Crank sensors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '95 A6 starting problem