Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 A6 Brush Gaurd

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 AM
1st Gear
Default '96 A6 Brush Gaurd

Trying to put this

On this

My A6 isn't nearly as shiney as the one pictured, and spends more time in the woods than on the freeway.

The guard fits the body nicely, but is going to take some fabricating to make it fit.
I wouldn't mind going through the lower grille but with the guard's mounting points inside length being 26ish and the outside length being 31ish it would seem like the radiator is in the way. So i will have to fix it as tight to the bottom of the bumper as i can.

There is a tubular bar that goes just behind the radiator and attaches to the frame on either side, near where the bumper bolts on.

Theory A: Find some kind of bracket that will attach to the tube and allow me to attach the brush guard to it.
Here is something that looks like it would work, but i am sure it is far to weak to be effective.

CONS: Mount might slide around the tube, causing the brush guard to droop forward or back. If the mount is secure the weight of the gaurd could cause the mount to bend at the L. Granted i could probably find a decent tubular bracket not designed for lighting. But stronger is bigger and being able to fit the bracket around the tube becomes an issue.

Theory B: The frame has a variety of unused places where i could mount a bracket. The problem would be the size and shape of the bracket. And whether or not i can bolt it on. Something like This

CONS: Jeeps have it easy. There is no location where i could mount an extremely simple bracket without welding. it would have to come down from near the bumper mount, or forward and down from the frame a bit further into the vehicle.

I don't have the tools to fabricate or weld. Maybe someone here in the LA area does?

Should i post pictures of the underbelly of my car so you can see the options?

All suggestions welcome.

Last edited by greens; 07-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Found a guy who is gonna fabricate a bracket.

He is going to make a C to weld onto the tubular support found nested behind the radiator, it will be made from 3/8 inch steel. Fabricated with CAD and cut out with one of those water cutting tables.

Then he will weld it on.

For a grand total of 120USD.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Would cost me almost that to rent a welder.
Not to mention i have no easy way to fabricate parts.

Last edited by greens; 07-16-2011 at 12:30 PM.