Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A6 wagon radio replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 AM
1st Gear
Default 97 A6 wagon radio replacement advice

looking for some advice about changing out the stock radio in my 97 a6 wagon. Has anyone come accross this? I want a cd player, should i have a stereo shop do it or a dealership or should i do it myself? What can I expect regarding price and technical issues that come up when removing the stock radio and cassette? Will the car value decrease?

Old 02-13-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 97 A6 wagon radio replacement advice

I'm not sure why nobody answered you yet, but here's the situation.

You have the Audi Delta head unit, and have some options.

First, you can find a CD changer unit and simply plug it in. You are already equipped with the cable located in the left side rear panel. If you don't see it then its underneath the black plastic piece on the bottom - just pull it up. Ebay is a good source for the changer, just make sure it is an Audi changer for your model since they changed to a new 13 pin connector in 1998. Be warned, these are typically desired items and don't go cheap, but it may be the cheapest option.

Next, You could get an aftermarket in-dash CD head unit. If you want to do the install yourself, then just order from Crutchfield.com. Not only will you not get ripped off, but they will include the wire harness and face adapter. Be warned, the stock Audi unit is a standard DIN size with a wide face plate. This means any aftermarket unit will need an adapter faceplace to shrink the opening down. You may also have a Bose amp/speaker system, which might not work properly with aftermarket although I'm sure its been done. There are a few aftermarket models that offer a red display, but you will lose the stock look completely. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, then a stereo retailer should be able to do the same thing.

Next option, do you really want a CD player? You may, but most days people are ditching the CD for Ipod or Phatnoise. You can find all kinds of info on the Phatnoise, but is a self contained MP3 player (and other formats) that connects through the CD changer cable and is controlled by the head unit. You would convert your entire CD library into the software. It is a real bargain at $119 at 1stvwparts.com and others. HOWEVER, it does not work with the Delta unit. It requires purchasing a Concert I head unit and a new 13 pin cable. See S-cars.org for the writeup with pictures on the conversion. My conversion, which I'm about to do, cost $240 for Phatnoise, cable, and used Concert head unit. With Ipod, you can go as easy as a FM transmitter (sounds not so good), a tape adapter (better sound), or, find a Concert unit and then install a direct connection adpater like Blitzsafe or Ice Link which will also keep it charged while driving. If you look for a Concert Unit, do not be tempted by the Concert II which includes a single CD player - it requires the CAN bus and will not work in the C4 platform.

As for car value, none of this will make a difference. But, if you get an aftermarket radio, keep the stock unit if you do want to sell. Most Audi owners prefer the clean look and appropriate lighting of a stock radio. Blaupunkt stopped making clean looking units a while ago and now produce flashy, bright, obnoxious units like everyone else does. And do not go to a dealer. I'd be surprised if they installed even one aftermarket stereo a year, meaning they will not have the proper parts and knowledge, and for their ignorance they will charge you triple. Dealers can be fine for many service items, but stereo's is not one of them.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default One more thing...

Also, this forum is ok, but not the best for us C4 owners. You want to look more at Audiworld.com where we have our own forum separate from C5.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

if not ebay, shokan.com may have it for like $150.
i added it to my 96 wagon, plug and play. be sure it comes with the cartrage to hold the cd's

i believe it is the round 7 pin connector plug.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

WOW! Thanks for the info. Very detailed and nice with the websites. I did get an mp3 player that I hooked up a cassestte adapter to. It's working great. I love having the access to my cd's. Very compact as well plus no one will want to break into my car for a cd player. Thanks again for the useful info. I'll check out the websites.