Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Audi A6 Sunroof control panel help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Red face 97 Audi A6 Sunroof control panel help

I recently purchased a 1997 Audi A6, I love it! Its a rare purple one too! I was driving along today and after a few rattles from our lovely roads here in Michigan, the panel that has the control for the sunroof fell. I looked at it and realized there were 2 prongs in the front and a clip. So, I thought I put it in right but it fell again later that day when I shut my door. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this??

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like the clips that hold the panel on might be broken. I've never had mine off so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. Try a search for "sunroof switch contact cleaning" here on the forums. You should find a thread that talks about (with pictures) how to remove that panel so that you can clean the electrical contacts that control the opening and closing of the sunroof.

good luck

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

It will continue to do that until you do the following; first get some Goop or Seal-All (essentially rubber cement), about $3/tube. Take needle-nose piers and widen the clamp, put a good dollop of Goop on each clamp where it attaches to sunroof bracket. Let dry THOROUGHLY/OVERNIGHT. Fixed.

This is just another Audi quirk that they haven't quite figured out yet but no doubt they have their finest engineers working on. While your fixing things in your Audi, I suggest you check under your carpets for water. Living in Michigan with the winters you have, I can almost guarantee you have moisture issues. If you don't, I suggest you take a knee and thank the Audi Gods for sparing you.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I will have to check both of those out. Now to figure out where the noise is coming from when I accelerate. First I thought "Oh GREAT, my muffler has a hole in it." but then after listening it sounds like its coming from the front and my RPMs are jumping like crazy until it "shifts" any ideas?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear

A sheet metal screw is a less permanent if more visible solution to the sunroof cover problem.

The noise will be impossible to identify without looking at the car BUT the RPMs jumping around says coil pack. Have you pulled your codes?

Where are you in Michigan? I'm up near Garnd Blanc. I know a guy who works on cars on the side in Oak Park. Also, VAST local as well.

Bob

Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Bob, I'm downriver about 20 minutes south of Detroit. The noise just started. I was using Unleaded gas like the previous owner but switched to Premium to see if there was a difference. I don't know much about the car since I did buy it used. The only good thing I got out of this was that he kept all of his service records.

What is a coil pack and how hard is it to change? Could it be from the car getting wet? Ugh this is all so new to me...

Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

okay, the clip on the passenger side is missing so I had to make a makes shift clip and put a screw in the roof to wedge it in. The noise was from a rusted out flange. Hopefully all my issues are done for now. =)