Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.7T me likey, me want!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 2.7T me likey, me want!!

Hi all first time poster here, I've lurked a bit in the forums. After 146K on my nissan 300z (chipped, exhaust, intake, 555 injectors, brakes etc.) and well after 16 years the afore mentioned mods and 146k miles the Nissan is really tired and I am looking to do the same with the A6 2.7t (yes i have been bitten by turbo bug).

A question I've had is with these series of mods I've read in the posts here regarding people mentioning the tranny on the Tip failing sooner than the manual?

Another question was I was looking at the 2000 and the 2001 I have read here that it seems the 2k has more problems vs. the 2k1 (one post here stated "the dreaded 2000"

What is the widest size tire you can fit on the a6 frame reliably? I've got a beautiful set of antera's 18" on my Z i'd love to salvage those along with the tires if possible?

Will I be able to run a 2000 from say 60k miles to 140 like my Z with these mods? (note the Z already has had it's tranny, turbos & injectors replaced) but at 16years and 140k it's still a beast. Could I expect similar reliability from the A6? I have no experience with audis in general but i sprang wood when i saw an A6 2.7t on the road one day and went home to research it on the net. I must've been living in a Nissan box for a few years as I had no idea audi made a twin turbo sedan (please don't yell at me i've been sheltered)

Thanks for the time folks, glad to be here.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: A6 2.7T me likey, me want!!

Hey Outlaw welcome to the forum.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

actually the other question i forgot, was: Is there a major supplier for parts I should pay attention to. In the nissan community we always had Jim Wolf tech which manufactured/resold everything from your chip, intake exhaust etc.. as well as the other greddy, stillen (aka "stealin" for stealin your money..).

Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

As for the major difference between the 00 and 01 models, the latter have bigger (internal) turbo oil lines and the stock ECU is supposedly different. What exactly do you plan to do to the car? If you plan to own it for the next 5-6 years and mod it heavily, expect to replace the turbos. In a month or 2 the GT28 turbos 'll hit the market. Ecstuning.com is a good website to look at mods, there are plenty for the 2.7T. Audi is already expensive to maintain/repair. I suggest you get the STi and mod it, these stock cars are already extremely fast and light.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the great info. I'll check out the site. As far as mods i'm not planning on anything extreme just the standard chip, exhaust intake and possibly injectors eventually the turbo's will go out so i would likely upgrade them at that time. As far as an STi goes there are too many of them out and about and they're already tuned pretty well and I rarely ever see audi's on the road tuned. I'd rather buy what some would consider a "sleeper" for 20k put another 10k into it rather than buying the same car brand new for 30K+

By compairison how strong is the tranny on the manual vs the tip? The goal would be to get a at around 50k miles and not have to replace the tranny till approx 100k along with the turbos. Is that a reasonable expectation provided i find a well maintained car at 50K miles?

Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I wish others would get involved and share their opinions on this topic..

Now, here is my advice: Insist on a manual! A chipped A6 with a less flow restrictive exhaust will meet/beat tip tranny's limits! Keep that in mind. With the 6-speed tranny you'll have less to worry about. Replacing the clutch is way cheaper than replacing the tip tranny.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 AM
rs
2nd Gear

well the tip tranny is good still, but if u start to mod it, it only can take so much before it does start to fail. u can get chips for the tranny that help make it shift faster and stuff like that, but if u plan on modding like ur Z, look for a stick. from 01 and up i think any major issues were addressed. only major issue with this bi turbo setup was the turbos dying out. but since the a6 has a bigger engine bay then the s4, it can actually breath alot better then the compact s4, thus turbos dont sufficate to death. best bet, get a 01+ stick, with factory warrenty still on it, that way u can get some stuff replaced under warrenty if nething messes up. after the warrenty u can start to replace stock parts with aftermarket, prolonging the life of the parts. you wouldnt need to replace the tranny for along time as far as i know, aslong as the car is stock. if u start to mod it, the tranny could go anytime it wants basically, really doesnt handle the stress all that great. there will be people that argue that the tip will last a long time, even modded, but maybe u dont get as lucky as them. i went thru 4 automatic trannys on a 2000 accord before i realized auto wasnt for me

Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

This is excellent information guys thanks a ton. I notice on Ecstuning.com that they have injector upgrades 440cc i believe. Now in a Z you can keep the stock turbos replace the stock injectors from 275cc(i think) to 550cc's and crank the boost up and the turbos can still handle the load if you baby it (meaning either tubo timer or just wait till the car cools etc.. before turning it off as well as letting it warm up.)

Can you upgrade the injectors in the 2.7t and keep the stock turbos or are they required for the upgrade regardless of a turbo timer etc..?

Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Outlaw,
Everybody on this thread provided some good advice. I have a chipped '01 2.7TT with TIP and I have probably reached the limit as far as the tranny is concerned. I just didn't want a manual tranny again so now I just hope for the best every time I get on it
Definitely go with '01 + no matter what you do.... just FYI - if you are planning on upgrading the turbos, say to the K04s, you can only do it with a manual tranny unless you want absolute tranny mush within a week.

Happy hunting.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 PM
rs
2nd Gear

^^^

you could change the injectors, then chip it, and maybe increase the boost a little most with a boost controller or something. but again not something you should do on a tip, i wouldnt go further then chip, exaust, downpipes, bi-pipes, diverter valves and a tip chip. mite be leaving some out, just woke up, ill let someone else fill the rest

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T me likey, me want!!