Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 2.8 chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default a6 2.8 chip

Any one who has all ready used an ECU chip for their a6 2.8, does it improve 0-60 times at all? My current 2000 2.8 stock does it in about 8.7/9 seconds.

this the link I found for the GIAC chip

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...s&IL=GIACChips

Are there any chips other than the GIAC chip, or is GIAC the best one to use?

Also, most people recommended an ECU flash for improving car performance. This may sound stupid, but I'm not sure what an ECU flash is, is it just adding the chip?

Also what is the flash loader switcher that GIAC talks about?

Last edited by b0b0; 11-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

My stock 0-60 was about 10, now I'm down to about 9 with GIAC 91 file & exhaust. I heard the tip chip is another -1sec on the 1/4mi. I'll know soon enough since I'll be getting my tip chip this month.

GIAC is the only company that "flashes" the 2.8 ~ this is where they connect via ODB2 port, and flash your ECU with the new program(s). They can upload multiple program files to have a stock tune, pump tune, valet (slow) tune, and kill (car won't start) ~ the Flashloader lets you pick between multiple programs that you have been flashed with.

IIRC Speedtuning & Unitronic make chips for the car. Chips are old school "flashes" where instead of uploading the file, the chip is soldered to your ECU.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

So, am I required to buy the Flashloader, or can I just order the chip, send them my ECU, and get back with the "best/fastest" program already picked? I'm assuming that would be pump tune

Well the flashloader may be free, but what I mean is am I required to buy any additional thing, other than the chip, if I know I want to stick with the chipped performance, and not any of the others?

Last edited by b0b0; 11-10-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

I have speedtuning flash on my car. You send in your ECU in for a flash. Price was good and the car runs better now. BTW, all chips will NOT provide you with a night and day difference. Anyways, if you decide to send in your ECU to speedtuning, let me know. I can probably get you a discount.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
I have speedtuning flash on my car. You send in your ECU in for a flash. Price was good and the car runs better now. BTW, all chips will NOT provide you with a night and day difference. Anyways, if you decide to send in your ECU to speedtuning, let me know. I can probably get you a discount.
Yeah I would really appreciate it. I'm not going to buy it now since it's getting cold out, but I'm planning to get it in a few month. I'll PM you when I do.

Also you mentioned that it's not a huge difference, but is it a difference that I would notice? Basically is it worth the money?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

I thought it was worth the money. I noticed that the car pulled smoother and harder generally around all RPM range. Read the following...

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=116344

Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by b0b0
So, am I required to buy the Flashloader, or can I just order the chip, send them my ECU, and get back with the "best/fastest" program already picked? I'm assuming that would be pump tune

Well the flashloader may be free, but what I mean is am I required to buy any additional thing, other than the chip, if I know I want to stick with the chipped performance, and not any of the others?
Flashloader would only be needed to switch between programs. Otherwise you can just stay on pump file. the Flashloader costs $150 and it doesn't actually flash... the flash programs are purchased separately and installed without the flashloaser. if you buy the GIAC or any program, you don't need anything else if you don't want to switch programs.

the GIAC file can be flashed at any GIAC dealer, and you don't need to take out your ECU or send it anywhere... they just plug in a laptop and run the flash.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear
Old 11-10-2008, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

^ waste of time dude. stick to real ****..

Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by b0b0

I don't think it works on your car. Most of the Ebay loaders are for TDI applications.

Quick Reply: a6 2.8 chip