Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 2005 hestitaing to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
1st Gear
Default a6 2005 hestitaing to start

Hello,

I am a current owner of a 2005 a6, I have been going back and forth with many dealership with my issue. Everytime i go to another dealer its a different issue.
My issues is:
When cold in the morning the car hesitate to starts , I turn the key and nothing, all electrical kicks on inside the car but wont start. Sometimes leaving the key on it will automatically kick on few seconds later, And sometimes it wont start and need to be jumped,
DEalership states its the battery,
BAttery tested low in the morning when cold,
replaced with a battery from Bob sumerall Tire and service , Audi states the the battery didnt have enough voltage for the power , went back to bob sumerall few days later and OLD battery tested % 100 after
I was stiill having the same issue starting with new battery
2nd dealership put old battery back in , and took new out.
Dealership stated there was a fault with the starter.
True not true , what should i do?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor

I was thinking maybe an ignition switch, those can be intermittent but if your car always starts when jump started then I could be wrong. The contacts inside ignition switches can become damaged and not transfer voltage as well as it used to. If the outer housing is cracked then it spreads the contacts inside farther apart. When you turn the key to start sometimes nothing would happen, other times it would start normally. But when it would the starter would crank over as fast as normal, if you had a battery on it's way out the starter would crank the engine slower than it normally would. Older Audi ignition switches would crack like this, and VW rabbits I had over they years did this too. Same version ignition switch. Yours is a different style but we've sold 6-7 a year for the last 3 years, they run 163.68 dollars, retail is 220.00 dollars. P/n 4F0-910-132-L.

A loose connection to the starter solenoid could do this too. If this is an intermittent issue, the best way is to test for voltage getting to the starter every time you crank the key to start.