Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2 aftermarket

Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 4.2 aftermarket

Does it even exist? I've got an 06 A6 4.2 and am looking for some extra power beyond the giac chip. I won't be buying a used car any time soon since I've seen people generally respond with "just buy a used S4/RS4/RS6 it'll be easier" Easy isn't the point as I love my car. I am just beyond unimpressed with the cars speed, and am looking for more. I am keeping my A6 for while I am still in Utah for the sake of winter. But if worse comes to worse I could always go back to my AMGs and keep my wife's Q7 for the winter.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 4.2 aftermarket

There are a few available upgrades for you to consider. First is exhaust. headers/down-pipes / cat back. All are available through the right channels. check vastperformance.com awetuning.com etc. Next option would be intake, or for serious power a supercharger. With this would come fueling/transmission upgrades as well. This car is no different than any other car on the market. Lose some weight, add some power, and you gain your speed. This car is however designed to be a LUXURY CAR. If you want an AMG equivalent consider an S6. 435hp Lamborghini derived V10 with bigger brakes, better suspension, bigger wheels, slightly different look, and some very serious performance advantages without changing a thing from stock. If you really want to be bold, consider the S8, but that will run significantly more money. We have a pre-owned up here in Nashua, NH if you are interested. $98k with ~8k on the clock. very nice ride.

If interested call me 603-578-3724

Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Ya, I'm just looking for stuff for this car, drove the S8 and wasn't all that impressed, really just wanting some more power before the RS6 comes out. Then I'll pick that up pretty quick, and let this car just become my winter car. I'll check those sites though. Who offers a supercharger/turbo for it? I've been looking and either theres not much out there, or my google skills fail miserably. Its sad, my father has a SL65 thats been modified up to around 800 horses and 900 somethin pound feet of torque, and a S65 thats about the same. Obviously Im not going to be able ever match those, but I'd atleast like to be able to keep up with hit range rover haha. Thank you though, atleast you gave me somewhere to start looking. And please don't compare the S6/8 to AMG's theres just too much of a power difference between the cars for it to be a legitimate comparison. Yes I read the reviews where Road and track picked the S6 over the E63 and the M5 but the price had too much to do with that one. Yes they are capable cars on the track and around the corners, but in real every day driving its just underpowered. That and I don't ever trust car and driver or road and track. The fact that they picked the honda ridgeline as truck of the year..... lol.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

Supercharger ---> http://www.mtm-online.de/

Audiworld has some information here ---> http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/mtm-supercharged-rs4/

Good luck!

This is my 100th post! w00t!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

ty a ton!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kouper
And please don't compare the S6/8 to AMG's theres just too much of a power difference between the cars for it to be a legitimate comparison. Yes I read the reviews where Road and track picked the S6 over the E63 and the M5 but the price had too much to do with that one. Yes they are capable cars on the track and around the corners, but in real every day driving its just underpowered.
I know you're not directly criticizing Audi or anything, but the statement that there is no legitimate comparison to AMG is false, atleast partly. A chipped RS6 (2002-2004) will give E55 AMGs a run for their money (and most likely take their money). If you replace the turbos, you'll be eating much more than lowly E55s for breakfast. And saying that the M5/S6 are underpowered is a bit harsh...haha. The M5 is pushing 500 horsepower and I've seen reports of it doing 0-60 in less than 4.3 seconds. Granted, that is slower than an E55 AMG, but not "slow." I guess you're used to the speed, though, since you say your dad has an 800 horsepower SL65.

You're right, though, now that I think about it. Audi doesn't really offer any ridiculous power numbers like AMG does. High end AMG (S65, SL65, E55, etc.) is in a league of its own when it comes to mind boggling power and torque. So I'm with ya, there.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Batteries

ORIGINAL: kouper
And please don't compare the S6/8 to AMG's theres just too much of a power difference between the cars for it to be a legitimate comparison. Yes I read the reviews where Road and track picked the S6 over the E63 and the M5 but the price had too much to do with that one. Yes they are capable cars on the track and around the corners, but in real every day driving its just underpowered.
I know you're not directly criticizing Audi or anything, but the statement that there is no legitimate comparison to AMG is false, atleast partly. A chipped RS6 (2002-2004) will give E55 AMGs a run for their money (and most likely take their money). If you replace the turbos, you'll be eating much more than lowly E55s for breakfast. And saying that the M5/S6 are underpowered is a bit harsh...haha. The M5 is pushing 500 horsepower and I've seen reports of it doing 0-60 in less than 4.3 seconds. Granted, that is slower than an E55 AMG, but not "slow." I guess you're used to the speed, though, since you say your dad has an 800 horsepower SL65.

You're right, though, now that I think about it. Audi doesn't really offer any ridiculous power numbers like AMG does. High end AMG (S65, SL65, E55, etc.) is in a league of its own when it comes to mind boggling power and torque. So I'm with ya, there.
I just have no desire to purchase a used car (and as far as new cars goes there isn't.) And after selling Audis for 2 years I saw so many beat to **** RS6 with low miles that I wouldn't ever really trust one I'm sure that there are good ones out there, just happens a Utah used car has always seen some awful winters, haha. I didn't mean it to be a criticism agains Audi, I mean hell I've bought 3 within the last two years and own 2 atm. But at the end of the day, for their current model line up Audi is kind of playing the "well, its all wheel drive and costs a little less then our competitors" approach. I mean take the A8 W12 audi's highest end car, production line to production line that means its essentially up against either the S600 or S65, or even the S63. And while the A8 is better looking, and personally I dig its interior more, on paper, and out and about it just doesn't compete (obviously it shouldnt against them in reality because of the massive difference in price) It's just interesting that Audi brings their big guns out so much lower then their competitors when the S4 and RS4 where so directly on the money. That and the fact that the availability for power enhancement in the US is practically non existent, especially compared to the others. Dangit I love my car and don't wanna buy a new one, till the RS6 if it comes out with the right numbers :-) Maybe I should just use the Q7 as a family car and pick up the R8.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not too familiar with Mercedes, but this is how I see it on paper and sheer numbers. Base prices, no options (except AWD where possible).

S550 vs A8

S550(AWD model) A8 (AWD)
$90,475 $70,690
382hp V8(5.5L NA)350hp V8 (4.2L NA)
4630 lbs 4321 lbs

Pretty big difference in price. Just under $20kone could buy the SC kit from MTM and have it installed easily puttingit over the 400hp mark. Notice the weight difference. Performance wise - point Audi. Price wise - offset

Now for another fair comparison...

S600 vs A8L

S600(no AWD option) A8L W12 (AWD)
$144,975$120,100
510hp V-12 (5.5L biturbo) 450hp W-12 (6.0L NA)
4960 lbs.4766 lbs.

Again, quite a large difference in price here, this time being almost $25k. Not many upgrades for the W-12 AFAIK, but one would think with a biturbo setup it would be pushing more than just 60hp more than the naturally aspirated W-12. Less than the first comparison, but still 200 lbsdifference. Performance - point Mercedes. Price - point Audi.

I would go into the S-series vs. A8, but my point here is to make sure that we are comparing like vehicles and not generalizing too much based on your last post.

Finally, we can get back to the original purpose of this thread, which is the A6 with the 4.2L V8. A very fine car. Solid and glides at 90mph like its on rails; very reliable. If you are not satisfied with the A6, then you have a few options. If you need more space, get the A8. Any of those will give you more overall space and one will give you more space and more power.If you don't want to deal with the expenses of the W12, then the S8 is more than enough. If you want more space, but not quite ready for more power then get the A84.2 and consider the MTM SC kit. If the space is adequate, but you want more power, go for the S6 with the 435hp, 5.2L V8.

None of these are BAD choices. I haven't seen a bad Audi.

Of course, you could just get a Q7 and a R8 for the same price as a S65 SMG.

At least it isn't a pinto.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Ya, and I knew I was being a little broad. I would pick up a Q7 but I have one. And Im seeing about getting my dealerships first R8, unfortunately they're playing the sell it for double sticker card your slowly starting to see. And its not worth 180 to me, that and that means I'd have to spend that much on my wife...... lol.

I didn't say audi's are bad, I just said they're a little underpowered. My 645ci (obviously not a fair comparison, but pricewise pretty fair, I picked it up for 63 with everything but the hud on the window, picked up my A6 with EVERYTHING for 61) Aside from being faster was a more engaging drive. I looked at MTM which Im trying to findout where to get some of that stuff done in the US, but at 20-30K I could just put that money down and trade my car in for an S6 straight across, but then I'll still be saying gee, I need like 50-60 more horsepower to keep up.

One thing you did not account for in your comparison of the A8 W12, yes it has all wheel drive, and while it seems to be only 60 horses behind with a 200 lb weight advantage, its actually at a massive power disadvantage once you get to the ground when you account for parasitic drive train loss.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

I tried to find the best % for the drivetrain loss for AWD, but became impatient. I know that is a factor, but it isn't horrible by any means. If it was that bad no sports cars would ever be AWD!

As far as racing around town on your lunch break, consider a Lotus Exige! Those are ricidulously quick. Assuming you work in the city (less than 60 mph) then just get something small, agile, and with a quick spooling turbo! Shoot, why not two turbos! The only problem there is taking it easy until the turbos are at a good working temperature.

If this is about maintaining a status quo you may just have to go with one of the AMGs. Even then, the car isn't the deciding factor in who wins these daily road rallies.

Personally, my heart belongs to Audi. I plan on purchasing a TT225 for daily driving and trading-in my A6 for a B6 S4 once I get home.

Hope it works out for you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 4.2 aftermarket