Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2 transmission gone bad, any ideas to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 4.2 transmission gone bad, any ideas to fix?

First of it's not my car but a friend's Audi. He bought a used A6 4.2 and after using it for a month big problems with the transmission.

The car won't go backwards, reverse is shot. Any ideas on a less expensive fix than replacing the whole transmission for like $6000?

I've read through some of the other transmission problems here in the forum but haven't found a fix. Read about the TCM but this is a California car and it doesn't appear to have gotten wet ever.

Also the display doesn't light up well, it's like faded, gotta get that fixed as well.

Audis seem like interesting cars particularly in the repairs department. I remember reading about German mechanics who worked on tanks in WWII, they hated the things, too damn complicated and a pain to fix. Sound familiar?

Oh and if you're wondering I drive a 1975 Volvo. Original transmission and built like a farm implement. It just keeps going and going.

Thanks for any help you can give on fixing the Audi transmission.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

run a scan and see if it is throwing any codes

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

First thing I would try is changing the fluid and filter.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear
Default The ultimate fix

....And least expensive is to get rid of the car.....

Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Any resolution to your friend's transmission problem?

Originally Posted by The_Dude
First of it's not my car but a friend's Audi. He bought a used A6 4.2 and after using it for a month big problems with the transmission.

The car won't go backwards, reverse is shot. Any ideas on a less expensive fix than replacing the whole transmission for like $6000?

I've read through some of the other transmission problems here in the forum but haven't found a fix. Read about the TCM but this is a California car and it doesn't appear to have gotten wet ever.

Also the display doesn't light up well, it's like faded, gotta get that fixed as well.

Audis seem like interesting cars particularly in the repairs department. I remember reading about German mechanics who worked on tanks in WWII, they hated the things, too damn complicated and a pain to fix. Sound familiar?

Oh and if you're wondering I drive a 1975 Volvo. Original transmission and built like a farm implement. It just keeps going and going.

Thanks for any help you can give on fixing the Audi transmission.
Any resolution to your friend's transmission reverse issue?