Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT FLASHES, BUT ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT FLASHES, BUT ...

replaced the front brake pads and did not get the o.e.m. pads with the sensors. i read several threads to just cut the wires and cap togehter to complete the circut. a few days later the abs light came on and i get the 3 beeps and the flashing brake light. i know this indicates a bad abs module but could it be that i fried it by bypassing the sensors or do you have to have the sensors conected to make the abs work? i guess i don't want to have the module rebuilt if the info is wrong about bypassing the sensors!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: A6 ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE LIGHT FLASHES, BUT ...

Nah, 98% chance its the module, 2% chance its one or more of the wheel speed sensors not working, but thats only if you hit something. The brake pad wear indicator circuit isn't even connected to the brake electronics module as far as i know, it justs throws a warning light in the instrument cluster.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

ok, thanks a million. this is my 3rd audi and everyone has had crazy eletro probs.........butit's worth the aggrivation!
i assume the other grouping of wires that runs into the arm housing is for the wheel sensor. how do get at those and can you test them?
thanks! oh , does it matter if you cut the brakewires pre-sensor or post sensor and tie them? my thought was a circut is a circut so i went pre and just removed the whole sensor, am i worng in my thinking?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Site Moderator

What do you mean, the pad sensors or the wheel speed sensors? None of which go through the center console i might add. I haven't experimented with cutting the brake sensor wires though

Old 03-15-2007, 04:18 AM
1st Gear

i meant the wheel sensors, are they worth screwingwith to see if they are bad? where are they at? and yes i removed the brake sensorsbut it looks like the other wires that come in with the brake sensors branch off and go to the hub somewhere???? thanks!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Site Moderator

The wheel speed sensors are mounted by the half shafts on all four wheel hubs, the only real way to check them would be to have a vag com or a factory scanner and check measuring block 1 in the brake
electronics which you can't communicate with because you have a bad control module and watch
the speed of the sensors while driving.
If all four sensors go up and down in speed the same the sensors are working fine.
But trust me they are ok, unless you see any physical damage to the sensors they are probably working fine.