Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a6 coolant level ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nepaudi
sorry i didn't know how to start a new thread so this one is the closest so i've put up my issue. i've an 98 audi a6 quattro audi wgn. i recently replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, fan belt about 4 months ago. but now after four mnths, my heated engine sign comes on all of a sudden. i drove on the highway and it is fine but once i'm slow driving or idle the it blinks. kindly advice. many thanks
At the top of the page there is a button that says New Thread. It is just above the posts that say Sticky.

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-05-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

sorry i didn't know how to start a new thread so this one is the closest so i've put up my issue. i've an 98 audi a6 quattro audi wgn. i recently replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, fan belt about 4 months ago. but now after four mnths, my heated engine sign comes on all of a sudden. i drove on the highway and it is fine but once i'm slow driving or idle the it blinks. kindly advice. many thanks
might be your coolant temp sensor

Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by afstud6900
not at all..just a colant warning level on main display in clusterm and its not over heating or leaking colant at all, running just fine, but its damn annoying and im perinoid about it.
try fiddlin with the sensor that plugs in to the coolant reservoir?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM

it might be ur fan! cuz pretty much after 40mph you dont need a fan, wind does all the work but in town it would start heatin up so... ya! lol

Old 12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

ok so i replaced the whole coolant tank resevior and its still doing the low coolant level warning.. i dont understand... but reason i had to buy the whole unit was because the sensor is built into the bottom of the tank but it was only 50 bucks so not to bad, and i grabbed a jug of coolant, so its done now and all replaced but still doin it.. so idk what else to do. someone help! its really annoying

Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

anyone?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM

The coolant level switch in the bottom of the expansion tank is a magnetic reed switch. I had a problem with the new expansion tank's magnetic reed switch being defective. I formed a steel wire to wrap around the plastic base of the switch and held the wire loop closed with a very small vise grip pliers. This allows you to remove the switch without removing the tank.
However, I had a good switch from the old leaking expansion tank. You should unplug the switch and see if the light goes out, to find out if you have a bad reed switch. There is a float in the tank, which causes the reed to close when the tank level is low. So, when your tank level is high the reed switch should be open.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

what the hell are you talking about? the colant level sensor is built into the bottom of the tank, i cant take it out, and i cant even get in there to see anything because its A. not see through and B. theres no way to see it. and even with it unplugged it says low coolant level..

Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

Hey, what about the conector itself? You know, what plugs into the level sensor. See if it has any corrosion or crap in it making a bad connection causeing it to trigger the light. Thats about all I can think of, stange problem...

Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

the connection is perfectly clean.

Quick Reply: a6 coolant level ALERT