Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Headlight Adjuster Needed, Please

Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Red face A6 Headlight Adjuster Needed, Please

Long story short, anyone know where I can buy one of these
Name:  100_2585.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  31.2 KB
I just need the plastic gear that's pressed onto the adjustment shaft. The one on the other side is missing, and without it, the shaft is free to move in and out, making the headlight always point at the ground, not to mention impossible to adjust. I've checked out everything else, and after reconditioning the lens, the light is in good shape, with the exception of this plastic gear. Or, : maybe, someone has an old light that is busted they could pop this gear off and send to me in exchange for a few bucks?? I'd be eternally grateful.
Thanks,
Gary

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Fixed it, kinda. Without the gear in place, the shaft is free to slide into the housing, making the light point at the ground. So, I cut a short piece of small diameter Vac hose, and squeezed it over the shaft, and then put a larger bore piece over it, to put more squeeze on the smaller piece, and make kind of a **** to allow me to turn the shaft with my fingers. I'll put a pic up later, thought this might help others who have busted adjusters and don't wanna spend $500 on new headlights. Keep in mind when doing the adjustment it asks to move each one the same number of turns. Now, without the gear, the ratio is different. One full turn on the good adjuster, is equal to 1/2 turn of the shaft of the "repaired" adjuster. Also refinished them while they were out, 600grit wet sand, followed with 2000 grit wet sand, followed with some polishing compound and my 10" random orbit polisher, followed with some Meguires plastic polish. Almost look new :-) I would have used the 3M kit, if I could find one here in Canada, but I couldn't, so I just used what i had at home already, and it worked out ok. Now if only my cam adjuster tool would show up so I could finish my gaskets and drive it.... life would be good.