Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT TURNING ON, NO SYMPTOMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT TURNING ON, NO SYMPTOMS

THANK YOU ALL....
IT WAS THE RED LIGHT
but today i opened the oil cap and sort-of guessed that it was low on oil, there was something wrong with my dipstick, i went out and bought a new one and i don't know how it's possible but there was something wrong with it....
I filled her up with 4 quarts for now until i get another oil change, it only had 1 QUART... it was very very low, thank god no damage was done, i hope at least. Now it's topped off...

I drive the car hard sometimes, between 4000-5000 rpms and redlining once or maybe twice a week... just as you might need oil when going to track. I frequently change oil bymileage not months(a stupid mistake esp for my driving habit)... I kind of figured it was low oil level b/c on my previous car, I once had low oil level due to hard driving (high revs), it was the same problem...

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND I AM GLAD THAT IT IS FIXED... I will drive the car around and (fingers-crossed), it will not turn back on.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Site Moderator

HOLY S***!!!! You better cross your fingers and get yourself a flashlight and find that damn leak ASAP!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear

You checked the oil level with the motor running???? NOT THE WAY TO DO IT!!!!

Stop the motor, let it sit for a few minutes,andTHEN check the level.

All you did was confirm that oil was splashing around in the motor. The red oil light said that you were in serious trouble because of lack of oil pressure. Lack of oil pressure means you were running thebearings etc with out the lubrication layer. This causes metal against metal contact and damages things big time.

In your case I would do three things:

1. Immediatly change the oil and filter. Use a good oil and filter - maybe synthetic or use an oil additive. In the old days we used additves with moly-disilicide but I'm sure there is better stuff available now. Your looking for something that claims to fill scratches.

2. Drive for about 500 miles and do #1 again. You have to get any metal shavings out of the system.

3. Goto church and pray that you did not damage the bearings, lifters, or cam surfaces.

Did I mention going to church and pray that you did not screw things up?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

NH_USA: i didnt drive the car when the light came on, not even more thana fewmiles (meaning less than 5).
the oil dripped from the dipstick before i could get a reading so i checked it with a new one (before when i did oil changes, it never really registered any oil so I hadnt bothered changing it, i noticed the tip of it was broken, the dumbest mistake ever)
it had about a quart or more in it, it was really low... would you notice damages when you drive around??

i think i'm lucky and nothings damaged (@ least b/c i stopped driving after the light turned on more than once)
this was really dumb and i should have payed more attention to the fact that the dipstick was messed up at the tip of the minimum side.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
3rd Gear

1mile with low oil pressure is a long way. Low oil pressure means turn it offNOW!

RIGHT NOW!!

A4-5 quart system with only 1 quart is the recipe for disaster. The most noticable thing would be lifter clatter, potentially followedby overheating, thenbearing knock, and a rod thru the side of the motor, unless the cam bearings freeze firstand you break the timing belt or a cam.

Believe me I know "of what I speak" -- My daughter had an oil pressure problem with a 95 A6. I hoped we caught it early enough, but the cam bearing damage was done and about 200 miles latera rear cam bearing froze, the cam broke,which took out the timing belt The restof themotor became history.

On the other hand - racing motors - or motors under high stress usually loose their bearings first. Rod and main bearings gaul, heat up and then seize causing a phenomon called grenading where assundry motor parts are spread all over the place and the resulting hole in the motor allows what is left of the oil and water to make the traveling surface dirty - not to forgret what it does to the underside of the vehicle. Sometimes the motor parts fly into the front tires (assuming that the motor is in the front)causing them to loose their air. This tends to screw-up any hope for control and other vehicles or guard rails are put in danger of being modified. Again I know of "what I speak cause" it happend to me a couple time when racing.Once in awhile you get lucky and the motor just goes clank clank clank and you stop before the hole appears in the block. Almost forgot -- the noises that come from "Lack of OIL"are expensive in all cases.

I hope you went to church and prayed that you didn't screw things up.