Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Plugs, Fuel Filter, Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 - Plugs, Fuel Filter, Timing Belt

2002 A6 3.0 Quattro with 92K.

Plugs currently have 52K on them. Looking to replace and need a recomendation. NGK ? and a decent on-line store to buy from.

Dumped a $1.99 bottle of fuel cleaner in the tank today, and the engine barely holds an idle .... really bad. Once I stop beating my head against the wall ... I'll need some ideas on what to do. Any chance that a can of BK44 will solve the problem ? I can't remember ever replacing the fuel filter, so I wonder if that will help.

I have a local Audi mechanic who mentioned the timing belt on a 3.0 gets replaced at 105K. He said he can replace the belt, including new WPump, valve cover gaskets and whatever else is included for $2,000. I think that's pretty much in-line, unless I'm missing something.

I've been living with the P0421 code now for over a year. I had the cats and O2's replaced under the Clean Air act recall a few years ago, but now I'm way over the mileage limit. Can't see a way out of this one other than replacing at least one cat.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

audi scheduled timing belt replacement for 3.0 is 75,000 miles. the h2o pump is also (should be) replaced during this service.
your air filter is clean?
there is a recall on 6 cyl. ignition coil packs -but i can't seem to find my paperwork regarding this issue. i had mine done after serious misfires at a local stealership and because of the recall, they did it for FREE, problem solved.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

The interval of 105k is fine on a non-turbo motor, for cripes pete.

But, he is charging you MORE THAN DOUBLE what it should cost. I don't think the stealership even charges that much. The entire kit with belt, water pump, pulley, tensioner, etc, is something like mid $200's for parts, and the labor should not take more than 12 hours even for an INexperienced mechanic. That is, of course, unless this guy is a total idiot.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear

The mechanic just wants to make some $$$
The idiot is the one who allows him that $$$!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM
1st Gear

Really 105k? thats great news. I am rolling up towards 73,500 and have been calling around for tb quotes.
audi dealership quoted me $1500.
independent euro shop (audi, benz, bmw) asking $1,200.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear

I'd compare the list of the parts to be replaced.
Blauparts seems to have quite extensuive set, front mount and accessory tensioner as well.
6.7 h labor.

105k ? In the age of globalisation when the origin of parts and components is unknown?
Is your Audi made in India?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

well, there's no way I would wait to see 105k but I did think 75k was a little short of a lifespan.
The lists are extensive indeed and out of my league of mechanics, hence the shop.
I was a different audi dealer (close to boston) this morning and they estimated $2,000.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Taurean Bull
The interval of 105k is fine on a non-turbo motor, for cripes pete.

But, he is charging you MORE THAN DOUBLE what it should cost. I don't think the stealership even charges that much. The entire kit with belt, water pump, pulley, tensioner, etc, is something like mid $200's for parts, and the labor should not take more than 12 hours even for an INexperienced mechanic. That is, of course, unless this guy is a total idiot.
It's a 3.0, not a 2.7. You don't know what you're talking about. The 3.0 is much more difficult.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crazyguy
It's a 3.0, not a 2.7. You don't know what you're talking about. The 3.0 is much more difficult.
I know it's a 3.0.

Sigh, fine. I'd disagree that it's more complicated, but anyway, since everyone seems to have an opinion - just average it. This is not to say I'd recommend going any further than 105, but I think up to 105 is safe.

Are you Teddy?

"Teddy
West Palm Beach, FL
I strongly suggest replacing the timing belt at 70 to 75k mile. only because those timing belts tend to break in the 80k+ mile area. And you go from spending $1,500-$2,300 to needing a New Cylinder head or heads whick can easily bring you into the $4,000+ price range. Now before everyone attacks me, I am an Audi tech. When you replace the timing belt, you should always replace the timing belt idle pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump (because if you replaced the water pump later, you need to remove the timing belt, so this is more cost efficient) and serpentine belt if it hasn't already been replaced. One more thing, I love the 2.7 liters, I think they are great motors, I do see the turbo's go out every once in a while which causes a lot of smoke to come out the exhaust (which is the oil burning throught the exhaust) and the auxiliary coolant pump leaks from under the intake manifold, but they are nice motors. Remember gentlemen, an Audi is a Luxury Sport car and if you want cheap, go buy a Honda. "

BTW, the site I found this on - some guys were saying their stealerships were recommending changing with 36k to 50k miles. So, it can become obvious that some "experts" have no idea what they are talking about. . .

Last edited by Taurean Bull; 04-16-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

You think Audis are Made in Germany?
You hope it is as robust car as the car you drove 10 years ago ?
Those times a long gone.

A bamboofinder (checked arround the car) might reveal a list of parts and components beyound your imagination.
You believe the bearings *** or SKF are from Germany or Sweden?
Or whereever they are manufactured they are manufactured to the highest industry standards?
There must be a reason the maintenance schedule was revised.
Audi schedule is 75k for TB all engines ...
One could trace the change or attribute it to the opening of the India plant, or the opening of the China based parts manufacturing plant, or whatever the reason is..
The world is changing.
Go figure!

Quick Reply: A6 - Plugs, Fuel Filter, Timing Belt