Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Plugs, Fuel Filter, Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

ah-ha, that's why the glovebox smells of turmeric and not fine leather and rabbit fur...
I believe it, and what goes back in to replace all of these $$$ parts at "recommended" intervals? more cheap, outsourced parts from the lowest bidder...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

70,000 - 80,000 miles is a good interval for TB replacement. Sure you could push it farther, why risk it considering the cost of valve and head work?

There are quite a few pieces of this nice audi that comes from asia. They have exploded into the industrial age and are many manufacturers are producing quality pieces. Most of the VWs in the US are now made in mexico but they remain a reliable
car.

Anyway, back to the point. NGK are great plugs and are the OEM for many audis. I get most of my audi parts from jhmotorsports, vast performance, ecstuning, blauparts, and rock auto. In the part I have dealt with shokan and think they are also a great source. I also just replaced an axle with one I got at my local o'reilys which works fine. Replace the fuel filter while your at it (I like wix filters) Give VAST a call and talk to some genuinely experienced audi guys and see what they have to say.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Taurean Bull
I know it's a 3.0.

Sigh, fine. I'd disagree that it's more complicated, but anyway, since everyone seems to have an opinion - just average it. This is not to say I'd recommend going any further than 105, but I think up to 105 is safe.

Are you Teddy?

"Teddy
West Palm Beach, FL
I strongly suggest replacing the timing belt at 70 to 75k mile. only because those timing belts tend to break in the 80k+ mile area. And you go from spending $1,500-$2,300 to needing a New Cylinder head or heads whick can easily bring you into the $4,000+ price range. Now before everyone attacks me, I am an Audi tech. When you replace the timing belt, you should always replace the timing belt idle pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump (because if you replaced the water pump later, you need to remove the timing belt, so this is more cost efficient) and serpentine belt if it hasn't already been replaced. One more thing, I love the 2.7 liters, I think they are great motors, I do see the turbo's go out every once in a while which causes a lot of smoke to come out the exhaust (which is the oil burning throught the exhaust) and the auxiliary coolant pump leaks from under the intake manifold, but they are nice motors. Remember gentlemen, an Audi is a Luxury Sport car and if you want cheap, go buy a Honda. "

BTW, the site I found this on - some guys were saying their stealerships were recommending changing with 36k to 50k miles. So, it can become obvious that some "experts" have no idea what they are talking about. . .
I'm not teddy and I didn't say it was more complicated...just more difficult. I said that it was more difficult because it is more time consuming. I did not suggest that he change it at 36k-50k. so, sigh, yes Audi is suggesting a 70K interval...this only makes their engine look worse...why not just do it.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

back to the main points ... your going to need to do your TB service soon anyways and being as tho the 3.0 are a tad more sensitive than anything else I have read about you shouldnt take the chance if you have the money. The price you where quoted was a little high but not extravagent.

I am running NGK platinum I had looked into the E3 and opted to stay to the highly recomended NGK. I am happy with them as many other people are.

The fuel filter is a simple thing you should do as regular maitenance anyways its inexpensive and can save you money in the long run. It doesnt hurt to do it and its inexpensive.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Gents .....going to start calling around for TB quotes and see what's up. I just picked a set of NGK Platinums from AutoZone for $2.99 a plug. Sure hope I got the right ones, as I thought they were at least $11 a plug from an online place.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

mgk sells iridium plugs. you may think about a set of those instead....for $5/ea its worth the extra milage