Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Rear Sun Blind Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Default A6 Rear Sun Blind Problem

Hey Guys,

Had the A6 almost a week and have run into the first problem . The rear sun blind worked when I used it a few days ago but it now seems to be stuck. There is a motor moving sound when the button is pushed and a click sound when you would think it would be up, but no movement?

Any ideas???

Cheers

Shane

Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear

As a matter of fact, today Audi is replacing the entire unit in my 05 4.2. I had to wait three weeks for the part to come in. The dealer said it was on national back-order so I am guessing that this is going to be a common problem.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

i have the same problem

Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem with mine...One day, I pressed the button, the thing came up (was a hot day) and I noticed that end of the rods that connect to the top bar of the shade itself, had popped out of place...The screws actually fell out, so I found ones in my little bullshit screw can in my basement that seemed to fit, put it back together(tough space to work in, and tough to do by yourself) and now it works 90% of the time. What I mean by 90% is that sometimes you have to keep pushing the button on and off for it to work. It didnt work at all when I bought the car, so having it now is a nice little bonus...GOOD LUCK IF YOU TRY, The dealership told me it was some kind of broken teeth in the motor or some bullshit....They just love taking our money....
Oh by the way..If you attempt to fix it, make sure on one side, the rod is forced into the upper track/groove, and the other side into the lower track(I dont think it makes a difference which side goes where). When mine popped apart, they came completely out of the track and I didnt realize that there are different grooves, upper and lower for a reason.I slid both sides into the upper one Duhhh!! and the thing only went down half way..If I am confusing you, youll see what I mean about the 2 tracks when you attempt this repair. PAY ATTENTION to the way everything comes apart and it should be a breeze, maybe youll get lucky and keep the original screws

Last edited by marcb0127t; 10-27-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: left out some confusing but necessary info
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback, seems like it must be a issue with a few A6's if not all. I might try and pull it out tonight while the wife pushes the button and see if that works.

Hey Kevin, what was the replacement cost for the unit?

Cheers

Shane

Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I wouldnt try and force it out! Every once in a blue monn, when it was really hot out and the car was in the sun for a while, I would keep pushing it on and off, and every once in a while it would pop up. I would try and put a hair dryer on the motor(under trunk) for a while to heat it up a bit, because the heat seemed to be a factor as to when this thing would decide to pop up...

Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by slipstream
Thanks for the feedback, seems like it must be a issue with a few A6's if not all. I might try and pull it out tonight while the wife pushes the button and see if that works.

Hey Kevin, what was the replacement cost for the unit?

Cheers

Shane

They needed the car for a second day so I don't have the final price yet. When I pick the car up I will post the price.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

IMO, I say forget the sunshade and costs repairing it and just buy some nice dark window tint (30-20%) for the rear windows. All fixed :-) lol I have 30% tint all around and it looks great plus keeps the car cooler in the summer time

Old 03-06-2010, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Just bought a 2001 a6 the blind worked when i bought it, now just hear a selnoid or something click but nothing no motor hum....
.any help to fix would be great!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Ive just spent three days pulling the blind out and fixing it TWICE!
Major job to get the ^*%}}^* rear shelf out but there is a good posting on this including photos - thanks!
I stripped the drive gearbox at least a dozen times trying various things - at first it appeared that the drive gear was jamming on the screw which stops the rotation at the correct position. I replaced the screw with a bigger one which seemed to do the trick but it jammed up again the day after I reassembled it!
Second time out it looked like the worm gear on the motor was jamming on the drive gear as the lower bush on the drive gear looked slightly worn. I loosened the three motor mounting bolts and shimmed two with VERY thin shims thereby realigning the motor and forcing the worm gear closer to the drive gear.
Thusfar it has worked but I guess eventually the gearbox will need to be replaced.
Hope this helps someone!