Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Default A6 Transmission Issues

My wife just bought a 2002 A6 3.0 FWD AT for a great deal knowing it had a few issues. Has a CEL that I checked with my VagCom. They were all O2 sensor codes but the car is running fine and gets good mileage. The problem is in the transmission. It doesn't accelerate smoothly. Once it is going it does fine and it seems to like higher RPMs. It drived better when I keep it in triptronic and keep the RPMs up. WHen it slows down and downshifts it is rough then too. WOuldn't think that this would be cause by any of the 02 sensor codes. There were no codes from the transmission. Could it be Torque converter/low trans fluid/ or is the trans about to kick the bucket. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry for the situation you are in.
A6 3.0 FWD AT is unfortunatelly the worst Audi vehicle one could find!
3.0l engine is not maintence friendly,
Audi FWD - what on Earth one should by no Quattro..
Your transmission is a Multitronic - nothing but troubles, irreperable..
I'd dump the car immediately and cut my losses.
Do not put any money in it.

Sorry

Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM

I concur, I have a 2003 A6 3.0L Quattro

105,000 miles

Torque Converter is going out

Oil Pump is going out

Already had O2 Sensors, Cats, Oil Check Valves, oil level sensors, not to mention a few other smaller issues...

I wouldn't cross the street for a free one ever again...

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

If you feel some kind of jerk when the car is speeding up from 0, that's ok. The CVT tranny is always doing this (it's a fanny tranny, isn't it?). I will be more cautious if you have the same phenomena when going down to stop, that's the issue. First, check if the tranny fluid was replaced @ 35K and 75K. If you do not have a record, I would strongly recommend to change the ATF asap (do not flush it, just drain and refill). Make sure you use ATF for the CVT transmission (I recommend to buy it from Audi dealer. It will cost you about $14 per quater.) Buy 5 quaters to refill the tranny. You will need a special tool to take off a drain plug and a pump to fill up the tranny. The pump you find in Autozone for $10. The temp. is very important factor while doing the refill and if you do not have VAG-COM, I suggest to measure how much old tranny fluid get out and refill with exact same amount. First, start the refilling when the engine is turned off. You will be able to put in about 3.5 quaters of ATF. When it starts spilling out from the filling hole, put the filling plug back and start the engine. Put the shift selector into R,P,N,D,S positions for about 15-20 seconds per each one, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!!!! Then go back and open the filling plug (the car is still running and the shift selector is on P or N) and add about 1-1,5 quaters of the tranny fluid untill it starts spilling out again. Make sure the tepm. of the tranny is between 35C - 45C. Or you refilled it with the same amount of ATF.
Good Luck!!!