Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 transmission sluggish when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 transmission sluggish when cold

My wifes A6 will not shift up from first when cold. Car must run for about 5 minutes first, then shifts fine. Cold being anything below 40 deg F and it is stored in the garage![&:] I am told by Lithia Audi of Reno NV that this is a normal condition for the 99 A6. I don't buy this, been in this business too long. Anybody got any ideas? Figured fluid and filter change couldn't hurt. 55K on clock, and doubt trans. fluid is anything but original fill. Also need fluid type if anyone knows. Have a hard time paying AUDI $15 a Qt for theirs.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
rs
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 transmission sluggish when cold

im pretty sure any car that is running cold and u try to drive it will do that. u have to let it idle and let the oil and everything warm up. ur beating the hell outta ur engine driving it cold. i hope ur not ripping it when its cold [sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

I am not talking ice cold, I mean if stored inside at 50 - 55 degrees, it will not shift out of first gear inless run a full 4 to 5 minutes before driving. I have driven hundreds of different cars and overhauled dozens of automatics from Chevy 3 speed to Caterpillar 10 speed, never having had a unit as balky as this. We even had FORD (ack!!) pick-ups in ANTARCTICA, that did not require this kind of warm up at 35deg below zero [sm=yikesomg.gif] Anybody got one (99 A6) that does this? This thing gonna drive me to drink![sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 04-30-2005, 05:19 PM

I ALSO QUESTIONED MY FIRST UPSHIFT ON COLD MORNINGS BACK IN "97". AS THE MILES ADDED UP IT BECAME LESS NOTICABLE AND NOW @ OVER 100K I DON'T THINK IT DID IT MUCH EVEN ON THE COLDEST DAYS THIS PAST WINTER. I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE INDICATIVE OF FUTURE TRANNY PROBLEMS BUT THIS IS APPARENTLY NOT THE CASE. FUGETABOUTIT

Old 04-30-2005, 05:29 PM

Hello. I'm not sure if my mom's A6 is a '99 or a '00, but it has the same problem. Well, it's not really a huge problem. You just can't race out of your driveway :-P

Old 05-05-2005, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Well, good to hear Got a tranny filter kit, and picking up fluid today for a filter and fluid change. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-05-2005, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

My 01 A6 does the same thing. Ive assumed it was the norm. Im sure you have nothing to worry about. No car enjoys the first few minutes of startup/rolling, my last car which was a manual tranny would be cumbersome when shifting after a cold start. After it was warmed up for awhile it had no problem at all, so I remembered to warm up for a few before moving. Your just getting alot of parts that have been sitting a while to start to move again quickly which is usually rough at first. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2005, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

My '96 A6 doesn't like to shift much when it's cold. 1st to second works up to 3rd and 4th take a couple of minutes then it's all fine

Old 05-07-2005, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

I make my wife wait until the rpm's drop to around 900, before taking off.
It seems to shift just fine after the engine/trans warms up and kicks down.
This seems to happen whenever the car is cold, regardless of the outside temperature.
I suspect just another Audi characteristic!
Besides, w/the 2.7T, you should ALWAYS let the turbos warm up before launching.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

My 99 A6 shift the best when its cold. Nice and smoth, when it warms o feel a shudder through 1st and 2nd. Par for the course i guess.

Quick Reply: A6 transmission sluggish when cold