Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/Brake System

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS/Brake System

Gang,
I got this from the State Police here in VA....my Audi A6 Quattro is a 1998 model.

"The inspection of the ABS light is only for an integrated system that is
the older system. The new systems that have the nonintegrated systems do
not need to be checked. If the ABS system malfunctions on the new
system, the brake systems are still functional. The mechanic will have
to determine what system is equipped on your vehicle."

I had asked them what, if any dashboard lights will fail me on a safety inspection, outside of the "Check Engine" light. That was the response I got back from them.....any advice?

Jim

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Default RE: ABS/Brake System

if its fitted it has to work especially the ABS because its a safety feature

Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

The vehicle stops with no problems....of course I'm concerned if it's raining or something like that....but if it will pass, then that's what's important....pass the inspection and I'll worry about changing the module later...

Jim

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

My 98 A6 Quattro 2.8 just passed state inspection here in Texas with a failed module. The brakes work fine, just no ABS, like most of the cars I've driven for 44 years. Don't know about the UK. Perhaps they require all equipment to be operational. I removed my module last weekend referring to the instructions onmodulemaster.com and sent it to them. It took about an hour to remove and the repair charge is very reasonable especially compared to a new part which I understand still has the weak link, very thin gauge wire,that eventually causes the failure.I'll have it back by this weekend and back in full commision then. I don't begrudge repair shops their livelihood but I do object to replacing an easilyrepairable part, especially when the repair makes it more robust than a new part.I located the repair facillity on this forum and am looking forward to no more flashing lights and beeping bells...and getting my ABS back. I have ABS on my BMW bike and like I tell folks who say you don't need it, I say you'll probably only need it once but it will sure be nice that one time.
Interestingly, my repair shop tells me there are "many" Audis driving around this area with failed ABS modules because no one wants to foot the bill. That was me until I found Module Masters. Take a look.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

I received my repaired module back from Gavin Curtis at Module Masters yesterday and installed it last night. Everything works perfectly.No lights, no bells just a full up ABS system back in service. It cost me $265.00 including repair and postage both ways and about 3 hours of my time compared to the $2300.00 quote I received from my repair shop.There was nothing wrong with the pump that they wanted to replace "just in case" and there was no hydraulic work involved in removing and replacing the control module. Gavin is providing a great service.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Bob,
Thanks for listing the url for Module Masters....I will have to get that module off and sent in it looks like. Everything I'm finding is telling me that the module is bad and not the sensors. We will be using it for a bit after the inspection is due but that's the chance I'll have to take. Seems Texas is different on the inspections. I know here in VA, if it is on the car, it has to work...My Jeep used to have a rear brake/backup light....had some issues with it so off it came but that was after it wasnt working and the inspector told me that if it's on the vehicle, it has to work....the place we take our vehicles for inspection is pretty easy going but if it's a glaring issue, like a dashboard light, pretty sure they will fail it the more I think about it....

My plan of attack is to take it to our mechanic first and tell them to check the ABS module and get a price from them for just the module. He's pretty good about taking care of us money-wise. Took it in a few times for engine light issues, he couldnt find anything outside of some mis-fires, the reason, he said, for the check engine light coming on, didnt charge us either time for it....nice guy, big Austrian....kinda looks like Arnold, sounds like him big time!

Jim

Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Jim,
Unless your guy, who sounds like a good find, has a source for used or repaired modules theprice for a newpart is about $1000 from Audi and it still has the design defect that failed the firsttime. What I like about Module Master is that they not only repair the part but they "beef it up" also for about 20% of the cost of a new part.I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.
Bob

Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM

not sure of the laws in the USA but in the UK theABS if fitted has to work butyou cangetround it by fitting a 4 second timer the the ABS light on the dash so they can see it go off because that's the only way they can test it, the car has to be doing approx 25 MPH for it to be of any use and the rollers for checking the break performance only does 1 MPH and its pressure related not speed/traction which is how ABS works

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM

how to make a timer

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

"especially when the repair makes it more robust than a new part." ????

Dude, you are gonna get a shock of your life. I will stick with new.

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake System