Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light on and Brake light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ABS light on and Brake light blinking

Yes, when i connect up my OBD code reader, it tells me why the ABS light is on.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

same thing with me . . . .cost me £300 for a second hand pump fitted . . . .inc new front pads..my air bag light is also on ...he said its a code to do with something with the rear seat . . any ideas.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

That's odd, so if my check engine light contains NOTHING related to the ABS, then why the ABS light is on?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: gilee_8

That's odd, so if my check engine light contains NOTHING related to the ABS, then why the ABS light is on?
I know this is an old post but hey.....

My '98 A6 has just flashed up the ABS light, it's on all the time now and 3 beeps when i start along with fashing brake warninglight.

Plugged the car in and the ECU has no codes, the ABS ECU is "unreachable" either the ABS ECU or the pump has gone am i right? Or if the pump has gone would the ABS ECU still work? ie tell me the pump is broken.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

As others have said, it's your ABS control module and it is OK to drive - just be aware you do not have ABS. You can buy a new part for ~$500, or you can remove the module and send it to Module Master, who will rebuild it for ~$250. Check out WWW.ModuleMaster.com. You may also want to check the AudiWorld forums - do a search for ModuleMaster - you'll find all sorts of info, including pictures of how these modules fail. This is an easy DIY.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:56 PM

Hints and Tips: Audi
ALTERNATOR WARNING LIGHT STAYS ON AFTER START
MODELS AFFECTED: Audi A8 from 05/94
FAULT: Alternator warning light stays on after the start. Goes off if a consumer is switched on or the engine
is restarted.
CAUSE: When starting the engine the ignition key is not turned far enough. The alternator is activated
through terminal 50b of the ignition switch and not through terminal 50 and/or charge warning light. Terminal
50b is only switched on 4 deg later than 50, so if the ignition is not turned far enough, it is possible to start
the engine without activating the alternator.
SOLUTION: Swap the wiring of the ignition switch for terminal 50 and 50b around. Now terminal 50b is
switched on first to activate the alternator and the alternator warning lamp goes off during the start.
WARNING LAMP FOR BRAKE SYSTEM
FAULT: Warning lamp for the brake system comes on after cold start.
CAUSE: In the ABS control unit is a poor recognition of low voltage and the acoustic and optical warning is
activated by unsatisfactory indication suppression in the instrument cluster.
SOLUTION: Fit the ABS unit with a low voltage relay.
FAULT ENTRY: DATA BUS DRIVE FAULTY
MODELS AFFECTED: Models from '98
FAULT: When performing self diagnosis the fault 01312- Data bus drive faulty, is indicated as sporadic fault
without ABS warning light flashing before.
CAUSE: The ABS system isn't defective if the fault is indicated as sporadic. The entry is caused by a
software fault. Only when a permanent fault is indicated, the system is defective.
SOLUTION: If the fault is sporadic just delete the fault entry, no further repair needed. If data bus defective,
fault entry is permanent. Recode ABS control unit, check for short circuit on date cable. There is no affect
on ABS function.
GEAR BOX CONTROL UNIT
MODELS AFFECTED: Audi V8 from '91 & A8 from '94
FAULT: 018 gearbox the ATF cooler pipe connection leaks at gearbox.
CAUSE: The ATF cooler pipe vibrates this causes the pipe adapter at the gear box to leak.
SOLUTION: Do not replace control unit. It is possible to code with VAG 1551 with a workshop code smaller
than 655 36.
AFTER COLD START DELAYED SHIFT FROM 1ST TO 2ND GEAR
FAULT: 4 speed automatic 097 gearbox shifts uncontrolled or doesn't shift.
CAUSE: The battery voltage can drop as low as 6V when not sufficiently charged. Then an emergency
operation is indicated on the gearbox fault memory.
SOLUTION:
-Read fault memory - check and recharge battery if necessary - delete fault memory/set system to basic position - take car for test drive, read fault memory again and rectify, if any, faults
still existing.

this is also common to all Audi models not just the A8 and just a guide

Old 02-12-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

just remember that you dont need to replace the whole pump. the only failure is in the abs module part held by 6 torx screws. you can get new ones and do them yourself. a6's have a little more room to bend up the unit to access the screws while a4's are not as accessible. if you remove the lines you will need to have the abs system bled where someone can activate the pump to bleed it. and yes when these modules fail you cannot access them with the scan tool. they do leave 1 code for abs in the ecm usually for electrical fault in circuit pertaining to the abs module.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help guys, i'll pull the module out of it today and take a look. Think my local audi breakers has a few on the shelf so if it comes to it i'll get a second hand one to fit in there.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

Hello,
My ABS light has come on solid (the amber lightwith the small circle inside the bigger one)....Do I need to go to the garage or is there anything I can do myself to rectify? (like topping up the brake fluid )
Thanks allot

Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Front brake pads required replacing.......problem rectified

Quick Reply: ABS light on and Brake light blinking