Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac help anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Ac help anyone

No cold air.
Checked refrigerant (by gauge on refill can), checked fuses. I hear the compressor come on once, shuts off and won't come on again.
Econ button off.

Please don't say dealer

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Site Moderator

Well you don't need the dealer but you do need a set of manifold gauges and a vag com to check the faults in the a/c control head. If you can't get a hold of manifold gauges (not legal for civilians to have in all states) then just give us the fault codes. If there are no fault codes you would need to go to at least an A/C certified repair shop so they can monitor the pressures on both the high and low side.
You can only see the low side, which doesn't tell me crap.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Thank you sir.
I'm not getting any codes (that I'm aware of). And I should tell you when I put the can on it goes to 140. Full is supposed to be around 45 according to the can.
Yes, I am way over my head here.
Can it be reading that high because there is no refrigerant and compressor is not kicking on?

Last edited by Kelly-4.2; 04-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Okay...have discovered that is the problem. If the compressor is not coming on, gauge will read very high. Without the compressor running it can't take a charge.
So next step.....where is the low pressure switch located in my car, can someone point me to it. Seems I can short #1 and #2 to get the compressor running and then try to charge.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear

If you aren't too familiar with A/C systems you should really leave it up to a professional. There are several possible problems. Low refrigerant, bad low pressure switch, bad high pressure switch, plugged expansion valve/orifice tube, faulty climate control unit, bad compressor, faulty relays.....

Messing around and jumping the compressor is not for someone who doesn't at the least have a set of manifold gauges hooked up.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Jeff. And you are correct. That is usually my advice also.

But I'm willing to learn. I wouldn't be comfortable bringing it anywhere but Audi but don't want to keep doing that. I think they start billing me the minute I get them on the phone.

I'm an Engineer, my boss is also, he has the gauges and his Dad had his own AC business his entire life. So I'm not completely unarmed.
I could probably check all of that if I knew where it was.

Having said that....lo and behold on the way home yesterday the dam AC just CAME ON. Pulled in my driveway and quickly stuck the can on it. Doesn't need refrigerant. It's right where it's supposed to be.
So now I got to wait and see if it stops working again. At least thats one thing off the list. It's not refrigerant.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
2nd Gear

Its a known problem, take a look at TSB 2020124/1. If you don't have access to the TSB, drop me a PM with your e-mail adress and refernce the AC being inoperative and I will send you the TSB.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

Thank you kindly sir. PM sent.
Worked this morning also.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up ac diagnostic

hi there
take look at this link maybe will help you http://www.audiworld.com/tech/
good luck

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear