Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjust volume w/ VAG-COM??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Default Adjust volume w/ VAG-COM??

Is there a way to reprogram my radio so that it doesn't automatically come on at 9? For radio it seems sufficient, but for CDs, I need it around 14-15 (sometimes 17 for quieter ones). If so, can you reprogram for radio vs CD? I have the Bose system if it matters. I realize it seems stupid (just turn the **** if I want it louder) but my **** is messing up - sometimes it decreases volume instead of increases, etc. So, turning it 5-6 points higher can really be a PITA sometimes.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Well the answer is no for what you're thinking. There is no way to differentiate the volume between the CD and radio. You can change how loud the stereo is upon turning it on, but again that's for both/either the CD and radio - not separate.

Now about your volume ****: you can technically take it apart and clean the contacts. I can't say I recommend this unless you are okay with taking electronics apart, however. And make sure to include what stereo you have installed, it's the Symphony II correct?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Yeah, Bose Symphany II. I'm okay w/ electronics (just don't ask me to solder anything - POS soldering iron and just not enough practice).

Do you know the codes and what block to adjust for the initial turn on volume? Also, do you know how to go about cleaning the radio? Do I take the faceplate off and is it blatantly obvious once inside or ???

Old 09-14-2009, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

I know the secret when you turn the ****, press it or **** it a little to the side (bad connections).

Thankfully I have the buttons on the steering wheel.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Yeah, I found the "pressing it in" easter egg

Isn't working as much as it use to though. Looks like I need to try the "slight angle" one now....

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Bringing this back up - how do I reprogram initial volume??

Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

The Symphony (I) can be programed without the VAG-Com. When looking for the procedures, I found you DO need a scan tool to do the Symphony II. The site <http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/> is a good site on radios.

For info: The volume **** is PART OF the face plate. The radio itself is common for A4/a6's but the face plate is different to fit the dash. The face plate comes off easily... four screws and a few small tabs. (More like bumps.) Swapping just the faceplate would not require the codes on the "new" radio so those cheap (no code) eBay radios should be fine. Just look for one with the SAME BUTTONS as there are a few different versions besides just I/II. (Mostly SAT and NAV buttons.)

I have both a Symphony (broken) and a Symphony II (Not tested, but I was assured it works.) in my garage.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

I don't know if a "search" will work, but there was a post awhile back that explained how to change the key on volume, the balance, etc.

Push this button, turn the key on, push the radio ON button, change the numbers in sequence.

I did print it, mine comes on too low ( going deaf, I guess), and the volume control goes from too low to WAY too high after a "crackle".

I would be interested to know how to clean the contacts in the volume control.

Cheers,

George