Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After the flood

Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default After the flood

Yep ave add the flood in the left back and front seat well. Sorted by clearing the drain plugs under battery and checking seals on the plastic trim, front of window screen. All this hot weather has dried out the car. CCM box removed dried out, had to rewire a plug as some of the wires were corroded. What i cant get me head round is the radio. Its the 2003 sat nav cd rom version. Since the flood the radio keeps going into safe mod and loosing connection to the dash read out. Also FM reception is lost. Now and then the though it will all come back but then after a while it will beep and a message displays i have lost connection to the dash read out. I havent removed the radio so i cant see there being a loose connection ( i could be wrong not checked yet). Is there another box similar to the CCM box that could of got wet? If so wheres it located? Or is there some other area that is prone to the common flood that may effect the raidio connections? Ive Checked the CCM Box and all the connection and they seem fine and im not sure if the CCM box controls the radio. Also it seems there is a loss of power to the ariel amplifier. So there we go any ideas? Thanks in anticipation of anyones advice Phil.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Have you did any diagnostic testing such as VAG-COM or Audi's sw?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Have'nt gone down that road yet. As with the CCM unit which i coped with the repair i was hoping there may be something similar. Last time i was charged for a new lock and hazzord light switch when the problem was the CCM box all along. They refused a refund even though i claimed they wrongly diagnosed the fault and they replaced parts that were not faulty. Phil

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Let them know why your leaving if you go... but also let the GM know your going above his head if you feel you were wronged, since any shop worth it's credentials would eat an obvious that screwup. Try going to the owner of the dealership or GM..also start looking for new a Audi shop.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/476535.html

Last edited by mystrodo; 06-07-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Audi Awards
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Not sure what you ment in your last post. Anyway still looking for a clue. As this happened after the flood, CCM box was wet and caused problems with the central locking and indicators. Once CCM box located and dried out those problems were solved. Now its just locateing whats causeing the problem with the radio. I am 100% sure its linked with the flood and similar to the CCM box problem. Phil

Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Are you having trouble with any other interior features? I would suggest you pull up your front carpet on the drivers side you will need to remove the drivers seat and take a close look at the wiring harness that runs along the drivers door sill and under the drivers seat. Pull the harness apart and look for the butt splices that are hidden within it they have a rubber cap over them and this cap retains the water causing the wires to corrode and lose connection. there are three or four of these connections in the harness along the drivers door and a couple more in the harness under the drivers seat.

I have purchased two a6's from insurance auctions as flood cars from the battery drain plugging up and after replacing the interior modules also found that both had trouble with these connecters. When these corrode they cause all types of problems with features within the car as it looks like it is where the power splices off for all interior functions.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
1st Gear
Talking Paddog Fantastic

Paddog fan-bloody-tastic. Now i know what to look for. I'll ave a look. I am sure its as you discribed. This only became a problem after the flood. When sorting out the CCM Box one of the wiring plugs had a couple of corroded wires that broke free. Simple rewire with spade plugs. So i assume that may be the case for the radio. Just got to locate the leads. whilst am at it i will check any other leads along the way.
Thanks again Phil

Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deadsmart
Not sure what you ment in your last post. Anyway still looking for a clue. As this happened after the flood, CCM box was wet and caused problems with the central locking and indicators. Once CCM box located and dried out those problems were solved. Now its just locateing whats causeing the problem with the radio. I am 100% sure its linked with the flood and similar to the CCM box problem. Phil
You said the dealer you were working with replaced unneeded parts and wouldn't reimburse you? I only tried to link you to award winning dealers who have a reputation for not cheating people when they (the dealer) have made an obvious screw-up.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
1st Gear
Talking

Yep that was a while back. As the faults were addressed with what they thought was wrong the with car, the came back fine. 3 weeks later it happened again however not the same faults. The interior lights were acting up and the car alarm little flashing light would'nt come on when locking and unlocking. It was then when i read a post about flooding when the drain plug under the battery clogs up. Sorted the problem myself and found the CCM box was soaking and a couple of wires had corroded, this i repaired. I then relised that the central locking and hazord lights are linked to the box. This when i went back to Audi and argued that they had wrongly diagnosed the fault. But because i did the repair they refused to refund their charge. I should of took the car back when the faults happened. What put me of was when i made the comment about this flooding because of the drain plugs. Its a common problem with this model. They said that they have no problems like this before. Looking at the post and speaking to others re this flood it is a common problem. Hate it when dealers wont admit that this a problem all they have to do is advise customers to clear the drain plug a couple of times a year. Anyway the post from Padog was spot on i found the offending plugs in the wireing loom on the passenger side. Upon removing the rubber covers they were soaking and the wires corroded. Now i have repaired them everthin is working fine. As for the drain plug i have removed the rubber cromet thus giving a larger drainage hole. As for Audi, a fairly bad design that dosent work. One car wash to many can cause so much damage as the water finds its way into to the vent system drains out into the back of the car and the CCM box is in the floor pan just waiting for the wash. Also its difficult to know you have this problem due to the thickness of the insulation in the carpet. Carpet feels dry on top but under it there could loads of water collecting. By the time you feel water on top of the carpet theres litres of water under it. I was amazed at how much water i had to remove and took forever to dry out fully. Just lucky the CCM box was'nt damage, they aint cheap to replace. But hey thanks anyway. Phil

Ps Thank you to Padog your advise was spot on.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Glad I could help these connectors are a real pain in the you know what to find since they are hidden inside of the wrapped harness and can cause a whole host of problems. And most times Vag-com is of little or no help as all it shows is a power loss situation to a component.

If there are any Mod's reading this I would be willing to do a full write up on repairing the damage done by the battery drain flooding issue if they would be willing to make it a sticky since it is such a common problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After the flood