Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket warranty decision?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket warranty decision?!?!?!?!?

When I bought my 2000 A6 I got a warranty from Secure Captial Management (Penn Warranty Group). The total cost was between $800.00 and $1,000.00. The warranty is for 4 years and is unlimited mileage. The down side is that this company will not cover the turbo or any parts related.

Now...having read some posts on the forum here I found another service called Direc Warranty. I called them and got a quote of $1815.00 for 4yrs. & 60K miles as well as & $1865.00 for 4yrs. & 80K miles.

Here's where the dilemma comes together. My local stealership has told me that the Secondary Water Pump is "going out." The total cost at the stealership for replacement was quoted @ roughly $700.00.

I can get a refund from my current warranty company minus $50.00 and pay the extra $800.00 or so for the new warranty and that service will be covered. Of course for $100.00 less I can replace the pump and keep the coverage I currently have.

Truthfully I'm leaning toward the new service however, the new service wouldn't go into effect until after 90 days and 1000 miles.
I have a upper control arm I know for sure needs to be replaced soon and would be covered by both companies of course.

What to do?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Aftermarket warranty decision?!?!?!?!?

I too have a Penn Warranty, and deeply regret having made any repairs through them..... now I can not get a refund of any true value to find a better warranty company.
Do yourself a favor and get the refund, and start with the other warranty co. If things can hold up those 90 days and 1000 miles then all will be better for you (that's a given). I know its a gamble but you already know that the Penn Warranty Co. is not the one for you, so why even think about using them for anything.

Here is how Penn Warranty works...... they will not do anything to replace a timing belt that is due to be replaced, but will replace it once it is broken and engine damage has occured?????? so they are willing to spend thousands of dollars to repair what would have cost them only 700.00 to do in preventive maint. oh by the way they will not replace the water pump or thermostatwhile the work is being done on the timing belt. Audi suggests that the water pump and thermo be replaced at the same time as the timing belt since everything will be accessible to do so. They did not want to replace my water pump or thermowhile the TB was being done, and guess what........ that's right2 weeks later the thermostat went out, so my car was in the shop once again, and my mechanic was more then happy to charge them for the exact same labor a second time around....... he lied and told them it was my water pump that went out, and I paid out of my pocket for a thermo, since Penn Warranty did not want to pay for a new thermo to go with a new water pump????? They guys that run that Co. have no idea how to manage their profit margins, its amazing they exist at all.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Aftermarket warranty decision?!?!?!?!?

Hey man thanks for the "push." I was definately leaning away from them, and now I know I will go another route. Maybe this post should more so be to warn people of the Penn Warranty Co, and how pitiful their service is.

Good bye Penn...hello Direc