Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issues.. Pulling hard to the right

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Default Alignment issues.. Pulling hard to the right

I have a 2001 A6 quattro 4.2L. Bought it in October of 2008 and haven't had any problems before this. If I let go of the steering wheel my car pulls to the right really bad. I'm wondering how much this problem is going to cost to correct? And also, should I take it to a dealer? I know it's a bit more complicated with the all wheel drive. Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

I have no idea if this is going to help you or not.

I had a 90 that 2 different alignment shops could not fix. Later found that the bushings in the upper strut mount were badly worn. Camber was all over the place. When camber is all over the place, the wheel affected will "flop" when you accelerate, decelerate.

If it is your problem, the mount is about 25 bucks. 3 nuts to remove, plus the strut nut. Bolt on and get it aligned. Do it yourself, for sure. I don't think an alignment shop COULD charge you much for it, but an Audi dealer could go hundreds.

American cars have a fixed strut mount, open to view. We have an adjustable with that plastic cap over it. Line up shops don't expect to see that so don't look.

Like I said. It might not be the same but worth looking into.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator

you need to have it aligned either at the dealer or a euro shop that has experience with aligning audis. The comment above from gmatov doesn't apply to you because you have a four link suspension, its most likely a misaligned subframe, bad tires, or the rear end is misaligned causing the thrust angle to be way off.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

MJT,

Phrase that differently.

Let go of the wheel, it pulls. What does that mean? WHEN are you letting go of the wheel? ON acceleration, which most of us do not do, or on deceleration? OR on both?

If it will ZIG to centerline, OR berm, on acceleration, and go the other way when you let off the gas, I don't think you have a 4 wheel alignment problem. Thrust angle and all that.I think you have loose front end parts, all of which SHOULD have been detected at your annual inspection, IF you have them in your state.

I have no idea where you are. My own A6 Quattro was aligned within the past month, got a readout of all the deviations, and all were well within spec, AFTER they cranked in the front end. Cost was 45 bucks. Actually, I bought a card for prepaid alignments, one is 45 bucks, card that lasts forever and works on any vehicle is 90 bucks, so 22.50 PER.

Oh, I paid for FRONT end alignment, they DID front end alignment, but they gave me rear end alignment, too. Within specs. You may pay more for the same. That is not my fault.

Cheers,

George