Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another key situation...help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Another key situation...help please

Hi.

Today while moving a friend out of storage, I dropped my 4-button remote key somewhere (for a '99 A6 Avant Quattro). My wife and I cannot find the other remote key or the valet key. The car was left in front of the storage facility so it is safe, we just don't have money to purchase a new set of keys. Any suggestions?

Is there a way to know if my car has the immobilizer setup? I want to buy just the valet but was told that it would have to also be programmed, so that right there is $85 for a key, and another $85 or so for the programming, and that's just for the valet key. Come on!?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

Can't help you. But your sad story is one of several I have read on this forum. Nothing worse than being locked out of your car. I think the lesson here for EVERYONE is that if you only have one key...GO BUY A SECOND KEY before you need it. I alternate back and forth between my two keys just to confirm both work. When I take a long trip (i.e., more than 2-3 hours), I have my spouse carry the second key just in case.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

ya i got you there. we had a spare, but lost it too. we didnt know it was missing.

still trying to figure out if a valet key will start the car. some say yes, others say no.

thanks.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear

There are few things to consider:

Any dealer would clarify the presence of an immobilizer.

Dealer will program as many keys as you'd like in one shot - one price.
There is no point to pay the fee multiple times.

valet key has no remote.
If you have no immobilizer - no programing is necessary.

Start first ordering a key by the VIN from the dealers.
Or get set of blank keys from the Internet and get them cut after your VIN.

Expect the dealers to ask you for receipt and refusal to cut non-Audi keys.

3 keys are a must - keep this in mind for the future.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Update:

Got a new valet key. The tech told me that not all 99 models had the immobilizer system. i have a late 98 which gave me a 50/50 chance.

So i ordered the valet key from dealer with VIN, dealer emailed the 'warehouse' for a key code, then they called me back when the key code came in, i came in with the title and my license, they cut the key, cost $55+ tax. Went to where my car was parked, unlocked the doors, started the car, it worked. No immobilizer system. The tech mentioned that all Audi's '00 and up have the system. Depending on which '99 you have, it may or may not.

I will just wait until I buy a remote starter in the next couple months because they will give me new remotes at that time, so i'll hold off on buying the 4-button remote from audi.

Thanks.