Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

antoher clutch/ mechanics post

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Default antoher clutch/ mechanics post

Oops! I posted this in the wrong forum initially...

We recently bought a 2000 A6 2.7t Quattro with 77k Miles and some known maintenance issues (not turbos... yet) including the clutch and the timing belt. I've had a local shop give me a quote for replacing the clutch that seemed a "tad" high, $1000 for parts, 14hrs labor + Tax = ~$2500. After searching this and other forums, I'm not convinced. I know about ECS tuning, but have no place to do the work myself.

Is there an indy shop in Brooklyn (or area) who can do the replacement for a reasonable charge?

The car drives like a dream even with a crappy clutch, we'd hate to see it go.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear

In Jan 2007 my indie shop replaced the clutch and flywheel with Awe stage 2 stuff (did not want a future problem, so I overbuilt). Clutch and pilot bearing were $900 including shipping. I also had to replace the FW, another $707. Labor was 9 hours. They also found my auxiliary water pump leaking and took care of it while they were under there. It's been another 110k miles (car is at 190k) and clutch/LWFW are holding up great. I am pretty sure you can buy a clutch for about 1/2 that, but I wanted "heavy duty" in case I ever have to replace the turbos and opt for K04s.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the pricing info, it's good to know the measure of things.

I finally settled on an indy tuning/racing shop not far from me, I'll let ya'll know how it goes. They asked basic/smart questions about the car and my plans for it. That made me feel better than the dudes just throwing numbers at me.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Indy shop in Ridgewood Queens

TyrolSport. Those guys were great, honest, and smart.

Getting the first quote the mechanic asked questions about the car, our plans for the car, etc. He wanted to be sure that the parts he was installing were the right ones for the job.

Total job for clutch and timing belt took a day and cost $2800 inc tax. They charged for the hours it took them, and not from the hours listed in a book. That's a just little over half what everyone else was charging, even mechanics located outside of the city. He also discounted the price for getting two major jobs done at once.

We're happy to find a good local mechanic and I'm happy to recommend them.